A lookbook is a collection of photographs compiled to show off a model, photographer, style, stylist, or clothing line. Usually, bloggers or vloggers will "model" fashionable looks for that month or season. This gives viewers ideas on how to style outfits, or to show what the latest fashions are. It is an especially popular term with "fashion bloggers".
Lookbooks in their online form can be described as "fashion diaries" because bloggers are constantly updating them on a daily or weekly basis. However, sometimes they are made to compile the looks of other people such as a celebrity, politician or socialite. They can also be used as an artist's portfolio.
Lookbook in fashion industry
There is a global shift towards online business.
Online lookbook is a digital marketing tool that helps companies reach out to their target audience worldwide. For example, 'due to the increasing advancement in online marketing trends and rising trend of use of digital media for product marketing, the demand for online shopping of jewelry is predicted to witness tremendous growth in the coming years. Moreover, due to the growing adoption of technological advancement techniques and innovative stones for artificial jewelry is anticipated to contribute major growth in e-commerce industry. Due to the increasing trend is advanced standard of living, growing fashion, and living a luxury lifestyle the demand for global online jewelry market is anticipated to witness significant growth over the forecast period'.
The lookbook helps to build an emotional connection with the clients.
To achieve it, all the professional lookbooks and catalogs makers advise presenting a product on a person and within a context."A golden diamond necklace on the white background says nothing. But if you put this necklace on the grandma’s neck and imagine a grandpa hugging her, you will see that this necklace is a symbol of life-long love. So, would you prefer to spend $1000 on a chain or the never-ending love?"
The fashion industry is fluid.
Trends and products are changing every 3 months. So, the companies are supposed to present a new collection every season. At the same time, lookbooks are comparatively easy to be created. To achieve this result companies automate a lookbook creation process. Nowadays, lookbooks may be connected to the product databases. In this case, the catalog can be updated every time there is a change of the product database. This is how fashion brands can stay up-to-date fast and easy.
There are various tips to keep in mind while creating a lookbook:
- Create a simple background, not to distract people from a product's image.
- Generate high-quality and professional-looking images.
- Be consistent in terms of colors and fonts.
- Add a 'Buy' button so that the client can buy right from the online lookbook.
- Add the contact information.
- Include cover and back pages, short product descriptions, and social media share options
Following this gives you a chance to generate a lookbook that will sell.
Whilst the lookbook term has become more prevalent in recent years through fashion vloggers, lookbooks have long been associated with cinematography. Whereas a fashion lookbook has more in common with a portfolio, cinematography lookbooks will contain a collection of reference images illustrating scene layout, setting and lighting. This may be used to be shown by a cinematographer to a director to illustrate or communicate the intended result from a scene, or vice versa when the director has something particular in mind 
- Courtney A. Weinblatt (December 20, 2007). "Stick Thin - A Look Book Makeover". T: The New York Times Style Magazine.
- "What are Look Books?". Fashion Incubator. August 25, 2006. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Naomi Nevitt (December 2, 2008). "Taghrid Chaaban of Taghrid: A Lookbook". Teen Vogue.
- Sharon Clott (April 8, 2009). "The Michelle Obama Lookbook". The Cut.
- Malynovska, Olha (2020-09-01). "How to make a jewelry lookbook?". Catalog Machine Blog. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- Research, Orbis (2020-02-28). "Global Online Jewelry Market & Jewelry Market Share 2020, by Top Brands, Leading Players, Pricing, Trends, Sales Channels, Revenue, Demand and Business Opportunities to 2025". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- "Catalog Machine". www.catalogmachine.com. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- Malynovska, Olha (2020-08-11). "10 Tips: How to make a fashion lookbook". Catalog Machine Blog. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- The Look Book Blog—New York magazine
- LOOKBOOK.TV Channel The LOOKBOOK Film Channel
- Jacco Fashion Lookbook: Japanese and Korean Fashion