- Hubbel first ran for office in 2006, coming 8th out of 11 candidates in the nonpartisan election for Mayor of Sioux Falls with 662 votes (2.2%).
- In 2010 she was elected to the South Dakota House of Representatives as a Republican, representing District 11.
- In 2012, after state redistricting, Hubbel challenged State Senator Deb Peters in the June 5, 2012 Republican primary and lost by 42 votes out of 405 votes cast (52.73%). Peters was unopposed for the November 6, 2012 General election, winning with 5,939 votes.
- In 2014, Hubbel ran for the Republican nomination for Governor of South Dakota in the 2014 election, challenging incumbent Republican Dennis Daugaard. She lost to Daugaard in the primary, polling 14,196 votes (19.13%) to his 60,017 (80.87%). She was subsequently announced as the new running mate of Independent candidate Mike Myers, replacing his initial running mate, who dropped out due to a family illness. Secretary of State of South Dakota Jason Gant refused to remove Collier's name, citing that state law had no provision for replacing an Independent candidate on the ballot. In July, Myers sued the Secretary of State to allow him to change his running mate and on August 18, federal judge Lawrence L. Piersol of the United States District Court for the District of South Dakota ruled in Myers' favour.
- In 2016 Hubbel again challenged State Senator Deb Peters in the Republican Primary, who defeated Hubbel on a vote of 569 to 441 (56.3% to 43.4%).
- In July 2017, Hubbel announced she would be a candidate for the 2018 Republican Nomination for South Dakota Governor.
On October 11, 2017, Republican Gubernatorial Candidate Lora Hubbel sent out a press release noting that South Dakota Republican Party Chairman Dan Lederman had been registered as a Democrat during the 2000 election cycle. In reporting the story, the media noted that Hubbel had changed parties, having been chair of the South Dakota Constitution Party up until February 2017.
- "New Party Officers". Constitution Party of South Dakota. February 2, 2017. Retrieved April 18, 2017.
- "Our Campaigns - Sioux Falls, SD Mayor Race - Apr 11, 2006". www.ourcampaigns.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Our Campaigns - SD State House 11 Race - Nov 02, 2010". www.ourcampaigns.com. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- Montgomery, David (October 15, 2013). "Political Smokeout blog: Lora Hubbel running for governor". Political Smokeout. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "A new lieutenant for Myers, but law doesn't allow switch". Argus Leader. July 3, 2014. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- "Myers Plans Lawsuit To Get Running Mate Change On Ballot". Keloland Television. July 29, 2014. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- "Judge Rules In Favor Of SD Gubernatorial Candidate". KDLT. August 18, 2014. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- "Judge orders Gant to add Lora Hubbel to LG ballot". Argus Leader. August 18, 2014. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- "South Dakota Election Results". Retrieved 2017-10-12.
- KSFY. "Lora Hubbel announces official run for South Dakota governor". Retrieved 2017-10-12.
- "Hubbel aims to out GOP chair as former Iowa Democrat". Argus Leader. Retrieved 2017-10-12.
- Inc., Midwest Communications. "UPDATE: Party changing Hubbel accuses SDGOP chair of party changing". Sports Radio KWSN. Retrieved 2017-10-12.