Losheim am See
Losheim am See
|• Mayor||Helmut Harth (Ind.)|
|• Total||96.79 km2 (37.37 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||510 m (1,670 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||330 m (1,080 ft)|
|• Density||170/km2 (430/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Losheim am See is a municipality in the district Merzig-Wadern, in Saarland, Germany. It is situated on the southern ridge of the Hunsrück, approximately 10 kilometers northeast of Merzig, and 35 kilometers northwest of Saarbrücken. In 1974 a reservoir was created in the north of Losheim that has become a popular spot for recreational activities such as hiking and swimming.
Losheim am See is twinned with the following municipalities:
- Capannori, Italy
- Lacroix-Saint-Ouen, France
- Copargo, Benin
- Bokungu, Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Mount Gilead, North Carolina, United States
Since the municipal election of 25 May 2014, the municipal council is composed as follows:
- CDU - 14 seats (43.1%)
- SPD - 12 seats (34.7%)
- Linke - 1 seats (4.7%) [in SPD Group]
- FL / BD - 4 seats (11.8%)
- GAL - 2 seats (5.8%)
- 1972-1990: Raimund Jakobs (CDU)
- 1990-1995: Reinhard Reis (CDU)
- since 1995: Lothar Christ (SPD), 2010 confirmed for another eight years in office
- Lake Losheim (31 ha)
- Museum railway Merzig-Busschfelder railway (to Merzig) and railway museum
- Eight certified premium hiking trails certified by the Deutsche Wanderinstitut e. V.
- Parish Church of St. Peter and Paul (Losheim am See)
- State-recognized resorts: Losheim, Britten, Scheiden, Waldhölzbach and Mitlosheim
- "Saarland.de – Amtliche Einwohnerzahlen Stand 31.12.2018" (PDF). Statistisches Amt des Saarlandes (in German). June 2019.
- Losheim am See official website
- "Gemeinderat | Gemeinde Losheim am See". www.losheim-stausee.de. Retrieved 2019-01-05.
|This Saarland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|