29 August 1958 |
Nsambya Hospital, Uganda
|Residence||Naguru, Kampala, Uganda|
|Alma mater||Makerere University
(Bachelor of Arts in Economics)
University of Manchester
(Master of Arts in Economics)
University of Manchester
(Doctor of Philosophy in Economics)
|Years active||1988 — present|
Bank of Uganda
Louis A. Kasekende is a Ugandan economist. He is the Deputy Governor of the Bank of Uganda, the country's central bank. He began his five-year term in this position on 18 January 2010. This marks the second time that he is appointed to this office, having served in the same capacity from 1999 until 2002.
Louis Kasekende holds the degree of Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Economics from Makerere University, Uganda's oldest university. His Master of Arts (MA) degree and his Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree, both in Economics, were obtained from the University of Manchester n the United Kingdom.
From 1988 until 1994, Dr. Kasekende worked as a part-time lecturer at Makerere University. He joined the Bank of Uganda in 1986 and served in various capacities including the following: (a) Director of Research (b) Executive Director of Research and Policy (c) Deputy Governor. Between 2002 and 2004, Kasekende was seconded to the World Bank by the Uganda government to serve as the Executive Director to the World Bank, representing twenty-two African countries, including Uganda, on the bank’s executive board.
From May 2006 to 2009, he served at the offices of the African Development Bank (AfDB), in Tunis, Tunisia, as AfDB's Chief Economist. During his tenure, he is credited for playing a leading role in the AfDB’s efforts to help African economies withstand the impact of the global economic crisis. In January 2010, Dr. Kasekende was re-appointed Deputy Governor of the Bank of Uganda, to serve for the next five years.
Dr. Louis Kasekende is married to Edith Kasekende, and together are the parents of three children; George, Vivienne and Stuart. He has written extensively on a wide range of economic subjects and his work has been widely published in journals and books.
- Bank of Uganda
- African Development Bank
- World Bank
- Emmanuel Tumusiime-Mutebile
- List of banks in Uganda
- Juuko, Sylvia (17 January 2010). "Kasekende Is BOU Deputy Governor". New Vision (archived). Archived from the original on August 10, 2014. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- Kasozi, Ephraim (18 January 2010). "Kasekende Bounces Back As Number Two At Central Bank". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- "Louis A. Kasekende: Deputy Governor, Bank of Uganda". New-rules.org. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- Juuko, Sylvia (27 January 2010). "Uganda: Dr. Kasekende - Is There Any Additional Value?". New Vision via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- Kiryowa, Sebidde (12 April 2006). "Kasekende's Star Brighter". New Vision. Retrieved 30 July 2014.