Louis Schwizgebel (born 19 November 1987) is a Swiss pianist. He studied piano with Franz Josefovski and Brigitte Meyer at the Lausanne Conservatory, Pascal Devoyon at Universität der Künste Berlin, Emanuel Ax at the Juilliard School, and Pascal Nemirovski at the Royal Academy of Music. He became internationally known in 2012 when he won 2nd prize at the Leeds International Piano Competition which was broadcast live on BBC Four and BBC Radio 3.
Schwizgebel has been the recipient of a number of prizes and scholarships, including second prize at the 2005 Concours de Genève, First Prize at the 2007 Young Concert Artists European Auditions in Leipzig and the Young Concert Artists International Auditions in New York, and 2nd prize at the 2012 Leeds International Piano Competition. He received a scholarship from Mozart-Gesellschaft Dortmund in 2013-2104, and was a BBC Radio 3 New Generation Artist in 2013-2015.
Louis Schwizgebel has played with many of the world's top orchestras, including the London Philharmonic Orchestra, BBC Philharmonic, BBC Symphony, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, Wiener Symphoniker, Orchestre National de Lyon, Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich, Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Sinfonieorchester Basel, the Munich Symphony, Nagoya Philharmonic, Shanghai Philharmonic, and the Zurich Chamber Orchestra. He has worked with world-class conductors, including Charles Dutoit, Sir Mark Elder, Thierry Fischer, Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla, Edward Gardner, Fabien Gabel and Louis Langrée.
Schwizgebel has performed around the world at many prestigious venues, such as Carnegie Hall, Royal Albert Hall, Wigmore Hall, Berlin Philharmonie, Lucerne Culture and Congress Centre, Tonhalle Zürich, Victoria Hall, Kennedy Center, Musikverein, and the Shanghai Oriental Arts Center. He has also performed at many music festivals, such as the BBC Proms, Verbier Festival, the Klavier-Festival Ruhr, the Menuhin Festival Gstaad, the Lucerne Festival, the Dvořák Prague Festival, and the Progetto Martha Argerich.
Born in Geneva, Louis Schwizgebel is the son of Chinese mother Yaping Wang and father Georges Schwizgebel, a Swiss animated film director. He currently lives in London. He enjoys performing magic, and making complex origami.
- 2006: Piano Concerto No. 2 of Mendelssohn, with the Orchestre de Chambre de Genève directed by Paul Goodwin; label Pan-Classics.
- 2013: Solo Album "Poems"; label Aparté
- 2013: Brahms Cello Sonatas + Clarinet Trio with cellist Ophélie Gaillard and clarinetist Fabio Di Càsola; label Aparté
- 2014: Beethoven: Piano Concertos 1 & 2, London Philharmonic Orchestra, cond. Thierry Fischer; label Aparté
- 2015: Saint-Saens: Piano Concertos 2 & 5, BBC Symphony Orchestra, cond. Martyn Brabbins & Fabien Gabel; label Aparté
- 2016: Schubert: Piano Sonatas Nos. 19, D958 and 16, D845; label Aparté