Louis, Duke of Savoy
|This article does not cite any sources. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Etching by Francesco Maria Ferrero di Lavriano (1702)
|Duke of Savoy|
|Reign||1440 - 29 January 1465|
24 February 1413|
|Died||29 January 1465
|Spouse||Anne of Cyprus|
|House||House of Savoy|
|Mother||Mary of Burgundy|
He was born at Geneva the son of Antipope Felix V and Mary of Burgundy; he was the first to hold the title of Prince of Piedmont. On 1 November 1433 (or 12 February 1434), at Chambéry, he married Princess Anne of Cyprus, an heiress of the Kingdom of Cyprus and the defunct Kingdom of Jerusalem. (She was the secondary heiress all her lifetime, as her niece Queen Charlotte of Cyprus outlived her, and a daughter of King Janus of Cyprus.) The family lived in Allaman Castle, Vaud/Switzerland and as Count de Vaud, Savoy tried to conquer the Duchy of Milan, then under the Repubblica Ambrosiana, but failed.
- Amadeus IX (Thonon, 1 February 1435 - 30 March 1472), Duke of Savoy.
- Louis (Thonon, 5 June 1436 - Ripaille, 12 July 1482), Count of Geneva, King of Cyprus.
- Marie (Morges, March 1437 - Thonon, 1 December 1437).
- Jean (1437? - 1440).
- Philip II (Thonon, 5 February 1438 - Torino, 7 November 1497), Duke of Savoy.
- Marguerite (Pinerolo, April 1439 - Brugge, 9 March 1485), married firstly in December 1458 Giovanni IV Paleologo, Marquis of Montferrat and secondly Pierre II de Luxembourg, Count of St. Pol, of Brienne, de Ligny, Marle, and Soissons.
- Pierre (Genève, ca. 2 February 1440 - Torino, 21 October 1458), Archbishop of Tarentasia.
- Janus (Genève, 8 November 1440 - Annecy, 22 December 1491), Count of Faucigny and Geneva, married Helene of Luxembourg, daughter of Louis de Luxembourg, Count of Saint-Pol, and his first wife Jeanne de Bar, Countess of Marle and Soissons.
- Charlotte (Chambéry, 16 November 1441 - Amboise, 1 December 1483), married King Louis XI of France.
- Aimon (Genève, 2 November 1442 – Genève, 30 March 1443).
- Jacques (Genève, 29 November 1444 - Genève 1 June 1445).
- Agnes (Chambéry, October 1445 - Paris, 16 March 1509), married François d'Orléans, Duke of Longueville. Their son is Louis I d'Orléans, duc de Longueville.
- Jean Louis (Genève, 26 February 1447 - Torino, 4 July 1482), Bishop of Genève.
- Maria (Pinerolo, 20 March 1448 - 13 September 1475), married Louis of Luxembourg, Count of St. Pol, of Brienne, de Ligny, and Conversano, Constable of France.
- Bona (Avigliana, 12 August 1449 – Fossano, 17 November 1503), married Galeazzo Maria Sforza, Duke of Milan.
- Giacomo (Genève, 12 November 1450 - Ham in Picardy, 30 January 1486), Count of Romont, Lord of Vaud.
- Anne (Genève, September 1452 - Genève, 1 October 1452).
- François (Annecy, 19 August 1454, - Torino 6 October 1490), Archbishop of Auch and Bishop of Geneva.
- Jeanne (died at birth, 1455?).
|Ancestors of Louis, Duke of Savoy|
Louis, Duke of SavoyBorn: 24 February 1413 Died: 29 January 1465
|Duke of Savoy