William Lowe (1898)Hans Mueller (1948)
Number of locations
|Australia; New Zealand|
|Linda Penn (MD) (2017)|
Number of employees
Lowes Menswear, also currently known as Lowes Manhattan Pty Ltd is a private, family-owned leading Australian menswear and retail chain established in 1898 by William Lowe. There are now over 200 stores nationally because of expansion driven by Hans Muller who established Lowes Manhattan Pty Ltd in 1948.
Lowes primarily sells casual wear, big men's, corporate workwear, school wear and have expanded into selling basic essentials to seniors.
Lowes sells school wear, casual wear, workwear, business and formal wear, men's outsize clothing, socks, underwear, shoes and accessories. In addition, their range includes sportswear and clothes for older people, fragrances and gifts, household items, confectionary and stationery.
As of January 2017[update], the Lowes chain employed 1900 employees and includes 206 shop locations across all Australian states and mainland territories; this is a 13% increase from the 181 stores in the chain in 2012. The largest of the chain's stores is in Bankstown.
In 2012, Lowes challenged what it meant to be a traditional retailer and introduced a seamless in-store iPad ordering system to over 200 store locations for their customers. This enabled Lowes customers to access a wider range of products and create a virtual warehouse of stock with products that they could never carry in each of their 200 stores.
Lowes is known for their use of rugby league personalities in their commercials, most notably Paul Sironen, Paul Vautin, Daryl Brohman. These television ads proclaiming you get good priced, quality clothing “At Lowes” became famous in Sydney during the 1980s and 1990s.
In December 2016, Hans Muller passed away. His son, Jeffery Muller, and daughter, Linda Penn, are now directors of Lowes.
- "Lowes-Manhattan Pty Ltd - Retail". www.ibisworld.com.au. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Menswear Online, Mens Clothing and Workwear Online | Lowes Menswear Australia". www.lowes.com.au. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- White, Lyn (18 July 2006). "Lowes-Manhattan takes Gowings space". Australas. Bus. Intell. Australia – via HighBeam Research.
- "Working at Lowes - Company reviews and information | SEEK". www.seek.com.au. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Online School Wear, School Uniforms, Schoolwear Accessories Online | Lowes". www.lowesschoolwear.com.au. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Lowes Big Mens". www.bigmenswear.com.au. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- Gublin, Melissa (15 August 2003). "The lowdown on Lowes". Australas. Bus. Intell. Australia – via HighBeam Research.
- "Lowes - Head Office, 02 95621111, 240-242 Princes Hwy New South Wales Arncliffe Australia". australia-business-directory.net. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- Salusinszky, Imre (28 March 2012). "Rendezvous with the grinning cheapskate". The Australian. Retrieved 18 May 2012.(subscription required)
- "ABOUT US - The Penn College". The Penn College. Retrieved 2017-02-06.