Lucan (TV series)
|Created by||Michael Zagor|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||11|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||MGM Television|
|Original release||September 12, 1977 –|
December 4, 1978
Lucan is a TV drama starring Kevin Brophy that aired on ABC from 1977 to 1978. The series was based on an earlier May 22, 1977 made-for-TV movie of the same name directed by David Greene starring John Randolph and Kevin Brophy, along with Stockard Channing, Ned Beatty and Lou Frizzell.
A 20-year-old man (Brophy) who spent the first 10 years of his life running wild in the forest after being raised by wolves, Lucan is taken to a research institute and taught the ways of human society. He is befriended by a kind researcher, Doctor Hoagland (John Randolph), with whom he bonded during his journey to civilization. Lucan's continued freedom at the research center is put in peril once his doctor friend and mentor is hurt.
Unable to ensure Lucan's well being at the institute, his friend encourages him to strike out on his own in search of his identity and family. The series chronicled the encounters, challenges, and intrigues Lucan faced interacting with people using his new learned social graces and old Wolfen instincts. He is also pursued by a bounty hunter, Prentiss (Don Gordon), who is hired by the university to bring him back.
Lucan did have special Wolfen skills that were invoked when he was made very angry. When upset to the point of violence his eyes glowed amber. He also had heightened senses of smell and hearing. In a few episodes he was able to call on his old wolf family/pack for help.
The series had an erratic broadcast history.
- Listen to the Heart Beat 12 September 1977
- The Search 26 December 1977
- The Lost Boy 2 January 1978
- How Do You Run Forever? 9 January 1978
- One-Punch Wolfson 16 January 1978
- You Can't Have My Baby 13 March 1978
- The Pariah 27 March 1978
- Nightmare 13 November 1978
- Brother Wolf 20 November 1978
- The Creature Beyond the Door 27 November 1978
- Thunder God Gold 4 December 1978
In 1977, it was shown on Monday night at 8 PM Eastern Standard Time, 7 Central.
On April 3, 2018, Warner Bros. released Lucan- The Complete Series on DVD via their Warner Archive Collection. This is a manufacture-on-demand (MOD) release, available through Warner's online store.
- Terrace, Vincent (1985). Encyclopedia of Television Series, Pilots and Specials, Volume 2 (1. print. ed.). New York, NY: Zoetrope. p. 252-253. ISBN 0918432618. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- Lucan: The Complete Series