Luigi de Magistris (bishop)
Luigi De Magistris
|Reference style||His Eminence|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
Luigi De Magistris (born 23 February 1926) is a Roman Catholic Archbishop Emeritus and Cardinal who served as Pro-Major Penitentiary of the Apostolic Penitentiary from 2001 until the appointment of James Cardinal Stafford in 2003.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
He was ordained on 12 April 1952 as a priest in Cagliari. This was followed by an appointment to the Apostolic Penitentiary in April 1979. He was appointed Titular Bishop of Nova on 6 March 1996 by Pope John Paul II and consecrated as a bishop on 28 April 1996. He was raised to the level of archbishop of the same see on 22 November 2001.
When William Wakefield Baum retired from the post of Major Penitentiary, De Magistris was appointed Pro-Major Penitentiary, a title then used for someone holding the position of Major Penitentiary without (yet) being a cardinal. However, on 4 October 2003 he resigned and was replaced by James Cardinal Stafford.
On 4 January 2015, Pope Francis announced that he would make De Magistris a cardinal on 14 February. At that ceremony, he was appointed Cardinal-Deacon of the titular church of Santissimi Nomi di Gesù e Maria in Via Lata.
As De Magistris is over the age of 80, he is not be eligible to vote in any future papal conclave.
- Profile, Catholic-hierarchy.org; accessed 13 February 2016.
- "Annuncio di Concistoro per la creazione di nuovi Cardinali". NEWS.VA Official Vatican Network. 4 January 2015. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Consistory: list of titular church assignments". Vatican Radio. 14 February 2015. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- De Magistris genealogy, araldicasardegna.org; accessed 13 February 2016.(Italian)
- Amat family genealogy, araldicasardegna.org; accessed 13 February 2016.(Italian)
|Catholic Church titles|
William Wakefield Baum
|Pro-Major Penitentiary of
the Apostolic Penitentiary