||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
MacScan running on Mac OS X v10.4
3/ January 13, 2016
|Operating system||Mac OS X|
|Type||Spyware removal software|
MacScan is an anti-malware utility for Apple's Mac OS X developed by SecureMac. It is aimed at removing malware (including spyware, Trojan horses, keystroke loggers, and tracking cookies). It was the first anti-spyware program released for Mac OS X. In addition, the application scans for remote administration programs, like Apple Remote Desktop, allowing users to verify that such programs are installed only with their authorization.
Unlike other anti-malware applications available for Mac OS X (and other systems), MacScan scans exclusively for malware that affects Macs, as opposed to scanning for all forms of known threats, which would include Windows malware. Given that there is considerably less Mac-based malware than Windows-based malware, MacScan's definition files are smaller and more optimized.
Full software and special tools
MacScan started with discussion from the SecureMac.com forums. It was developed in response to specific user concerns about malware. SecureMac was developed to keep the Mac platform secure by scanning for viruses and malware. In addition to selling their flagship product, SecureMac releases special-purpose removal utilities to the public free of charge when a threat might compromise the broader platform. Such releases have included:
- MacScan DNSChanger Trojan Removal Tool
- Boonana Trojan Removal Tool
- MacScan iWorkServices Trojan Horse Removal Tool
These utilities remove only the particular threat they are designed to remove, but they are free.
- 'Review: MacScan 3', Macworld, May 3, 2016
- 'Review: MacScan 2.9.4', CNET Editor Review, February 26, 2013
- 'Review: MacScan 2.6', Softpedia, February 15, 2009
- 'Review: MacScan 2.6', Brighthub, January 15, 2009
- '6 hot Macworld apps for business', CNN Money, January 7, 2009
- 'Review: MacScan 2.1', Macworld, July 17, 2006
- 'Review: MacScan 2.5', Laptop Magazine, April 22, 2008
- 'Review MacScan 2', MacWorld UK, May 14, 2008
- 'MacScan and Your Trojan Lesson', Apple Matters, April 27, 2006