Machakos Institute of Technology
|Motto||Master the training and experience the reward|
|Campus||Urban, 25 acres (0.1 km2)|
|Colors||Orange and Blue[a]
|Affiliations||KNEC, ABMA UK, AQA UK, ABE, IMIS, LCM, KASNEB, ICM, MCSE, ICC, MCAD|
The Machakos Institute of Technology (MIT) is a private institute in Machakos, Eastern Province, Kenya. MIT has six schools with an emphasis on social work, community development, and scientific and technological research.
MIT was founded in 2008 in response to the expansion in primary and secondary education in Kenya and a lack of corresponding increase in mid-level training colleges and universities. This led to the inability of majority of KCSE school leavers to access training, leading to a huge training gap.
The institute offers short, certificate, diploma and advanced diploma courses, and runs consultancy services.
The main campus is located at the Machakos-Mombasa road junction.
MIT is divided into six schools:
- School of Social Work and Community Development
- School of Counseling and Psychology
- School of Applied and Health Sciences
- School of Business Education
- School of Computing and Information Technology
- School of Teacher Education
Qualifications for admission
The minimum qualification for entry to a diploma course is grade KCSE C- or KCE Div. 2 or its equivalent or KCE Div. 3 or the equivalent. Those with bridging courses are considered on individual basis.
The three MIT intakes are in January, May and September. Registration for the distance learning programme is possible throughout the year. Students can register online.
Mode of study
Methods of study are:
- Full-time (day time): 8.00am - 6.00pm, Mon – Fri
- Evening classes: 5.30 pm - 7.30pm, Mon – Fri
- Saturday classes: 8.00am - 4.00pm
- Blocks: April, August and December
- Distant learning programme (learning by correspondence)
Examinations are administered by several examination bodies:
- Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC)
- Machakos Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Association of Business Managers and Administrators (ABMA UK)
- Assessment and Qualification Alliance (AQA UK)
- Association of Business Executives (ABE)
- Institute of Management of Information Systems (IMIS)
- London Centre of Marketing (LCM)
- Kenya Accountancy and Secretarial Board (KASNEB)
- Institute of Commercial Management (ICM)
- Microsoft certified system engineer (MCSE)
- International Computer Certifications (ICC)
- Microsoft Certified Application Development (MCAD)
The programmes evaluation and quality assurance is done by Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Commission for Higher Education, Kenya Methodist University and institutions collaborating with MIT.
Short courses are organized at the beginning of each year. The institute links up with the Kenya Institute of Social Work to offer the training programmes.
The objective of the consultancy services is to provide advice in particular areas of expertise.
- Young Christian Students
- Christian Union
- Debate Club
- Drama Club
- Environmental Club
- Social Workers Club
- Career Club
- Athletics (track and field)
- Table tennis
- "Machakos Institute of Technology Facts 2008: Faculty and Staff". MIT. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- "MIT Facts 2008: The Campus". MIT. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- "Symbols: Book". MIT Graphic Identity. MIT. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- "Machakos Institute of Technology Facts 2008: Enrollments 2008". MIT. Retrieved 2008-09-09.