Maher Charif (Arabic: ماهر الشريف, transliterated Mahir ash-Sharif) is a Palestinian Marxist historian specialising in modern Arab intellectual history and the history of Arab political movements. He is working as a lecturer and researcher on medieval, modern, and Arab history at the French Near East Institute in Syria.
Charif, a Palestinian refugee resident in Syria, has been a member of the Central Committee of the Palestinian People's Party, and is a frequent commentator on politics and society in Arab newspapers.
His works include:
- Al-bahth 'an kiyan (The Search for an Entity), on the ideological evolution of Palestinian political movements
- Filastin fi-l-arshif as-sirri li-l-komintern (Palestine in the Secret Archive of the Comintern)
- Rihanat an-nahda fi-l-fikr al-'arabi (The Stakes of the Nahda in Arab Thought)
- Tayar al-islah ad-dini wa-masa'irihi fi-l-mujtama'at il-'arabiyya (The Religious Reformist Current and its Future in Arab Societies) conference papers, co-edited with Salam al-Kawakibi.
- Tatawwur mafhoum al-jihad fi-l-fikr al-islami (The Development of the Concept of Jihad in Islamic Thought)
- "3rd World Forum on Human Rights: Programme". 3rd World Forum on Human Rights: 30 June – 3 July 2008. Retrieved 22 Mar. 2009. http://www.spidh.org/fileadmin/spidh/Documents_de_reference/Programme/Forum_GB.pdf
- "Les délégations étrangères" ("The foreign delegations"). L'Humanité. 11 September 1993. Retrieved 21 Mar. 2009. http://www.humanite.fr/popup_imprimer.html?id_article=683948 (French)
- "Maher Charif: construisons maintenant la paix" ("Maher Charif: Let Us Build Peace Now"). 14 Sep. 1993. Interview with Michel Muller in L'Humanité. (French)
|This article about a Palestinian historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|