This article does not cite any sources. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mani Matter (1970)
|Birth name||Hans-Peter Matter|
4 August 1936|
24 November 1972 (aged 36)|
Kilchberg, Zurich, Switzerland
Mani Matter grew up in Bern, and performed his own chansons in contemporary Bernese German at local venues and on the radio; he accompanied himself on the guitar. He was an active Boy Scout in the Pfadicorps Patria in Bern and he performed his first own songs during Boy Scout evenings. He also performed together with the Berner Troubadours (Bernese troubadours). He was killed in a car accident on his way to a concert and is buried in the Bremgartenfriedhof in Bern. Mani Matter's literary estate is archived in the Swiss Literary Archives in Bern.
His Bernese German songs remain very popular in the Swiss German speaking part of Switzerland, and Matter is a great influence on the dialect music scene in Bern, and his songs are frequently covered. A collection of cover-versions was published in 1992 on the album Matter Rock. Mani Matter's chansons are often taught at school (including classes for adults wanting to learn Bernese German) and are famous for their soft irony.
- 1966 I han en Uhr erfunde (EP, "I invented a watch")
- 1967 Alls wo mir id Finger chunnt (EP, "Anything I touch")
- 1970 Hemmige (EP, "Inhibitions")
- 1972 Betrachtige über nes Sändwitsch (EP, "Contemplations on a sandwich")
- 1973 Ir Ysebahn (LP, "On the railroad")
- 1973 I han es Zündhölzli azündt (double-LP, "I lit a match")
- Official website of his family
- Literary estate of Mani Matter in the archive database HelveticArchives of the
rootsearch=KEYWORD&lng=en&pos=1&conf=.%2Fchameleon.conf&t1=mani+matter&u1=1003&op1=OR&t2=mani+matter&u2=21&op2=AND&t3=&u3=1035&host=biblio.admin.ch%2B3601%2BDEFAULT&patronhost=biblio.admin.ch%203601%20DEFAULT Publications by and about Mani Matter] in the catalogue Helveticat of the Swiss National Library
- Mani Matter (information about the film)
- Brigitte Marschall (2005). "Mani Matter". In Andreas Kotte. Theaterlexikon der Schweiz (TLS) / Dictionnaire du théâtre en Suisse (DTS) / Dizionario Teatrale Svizzero / Lexicon da teater svizzer [Theater Dictionary of Switzerland] (in German). 2. Zürich: Chronos. pp. 1023/1024. ISBN 978-3-0340-0715-3. LCCN 2007423414. OCLC 62309181.