Many a Mile
|Many a Mile|
|Studio album by Buffy Sainte-Marie|
|Buffy Sainte-Marie chronology|
Though originally released on Vanguard Records, it was never reissued on CD when the rest of Sainte-Marie's catalog for that label came out in the late 1990s. It was reissued on CD in Italy via Fontana Records, and in 2015 in the United Kingdom via Ace Records.
The album contained a larger proportion of traditional material than her debut, including a number of Child ballads. The most famous song here is "Until It's Time for You to Go", which has been covered by Cher, Neil Diamond, Shirley Bassey, Françoise Hardy and Elvis Presley. "Groundhog" shows Sainte-Marie playing her unique mouthbow. The song "The Piney Wood Hills" was re-recorded for I'm Gonna Be a Country Girl Again three years later (in a Nashville country arrangement), and again thirty years later on the album Up Where We Belong.
All tracks composed by Buffy Sainte-Marie, except where indicated
- Side one
- "Must I Go Bound" (Traditional) - 2:36
- "Los Pescadores" - 2:01
- "Groundhog" (Traditional) - 2:13
- "On the Banks of Red Roses" (Traditional) - 2:36
- "Fixin' to Die" (Bukka White) - 2:29
- "Until It's Time for You to Go" - 2:27
- "The Piney Wood Hills" - 3:40
- Side two
- "Welcome, Welcome Emigrante" - 2:12
- "Broke Down Girl" - 2:00
- "Johnny Be Fair" - 1:44
- "Maple Sugar Boy" (Traditional) - 1:42
- "Lazarus" (Traditional) - 2:56
- "Come All Ye Fair and Tender Ladies" (Traditional) - 4:48
- "Many a Mile" (Patrick Sky) - 2:42
- Buffy Sainte-Marie - vocals, instruments
- Russ Savakus - bass
- Daddy Bones - guitar on "The Piney Wood Hills"
- Patrick Sky - guitar on "Many a Mile"