Marco Simon Puccioni
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Marco Simon Puccioni
|Alma mater||Sapienza University of Rome|
California Institute of the Arts
Seventh of eight children, Puccioni was born in and grew up in Rome. After graduating in architecture at the Sapienza University of Rome, he won a Fulbright scholarship that allowed him to study at CalArts in Los Angeles where he received MFA in Film and Video in 1991.
He started his professional career working for Rai Television, directing short docudramas. After directing a series of short films for the festival circuit he produced the film project Intolerance, a collective film against racism made up of shorts. He directed one of the shorts, while the others were directed by several other young Italian filmmakers such as Gabriele Muccino and Paolo Virzì, but also by veteran director Citto Maselli.
Puccioni made his full feature directorial debut in 2001 with Quello che Cerchi ("What you are looking for"). Using several digital formats, it is a road movie telling the story of a detective and a runaway teenager. The film, released in Italy in 2002, was awarded in the festival circuit and was greeted by Nanni Moretti as one of the best film debut of the year.
Between 2003 and 2006, he went back working for television and directed several documentaries and short films. Among those the short Corpo Immagine with the actress Piera Degli Esposti and the still unknown and young Nicolas Vaporidis was presented at the 61st Venice Film Festival.
In 2007, his second feature film Riparo (distributed as Shelter Me in the US and as Shelter in other countries) premiered at the 57th Berlin International Film Festival. Riparo was screened at the New Directors/New Films series among the over 90 festivals around the world. The film starred the international actress Maria de Medeiros and tells the story of a lesbian couple and an Arab teenager who illegally immigrated to Italy. Il Colore delle Parole ("The Color of Words") is a feature documentary that premiered at 66th Venice Film Festival about the roots and the multiple identities of the African community in Italy.
In 2012, he directed the documentary "Prima di tutto" ("Before anything else") part of a larger project entitled "My journey to meet you" about the life of same-sex families.
His most recent work is the feature film Come il vento ("Like the wind") presented at the 8th Rome International film festival. The film, starring Valeria Golino, Filippo Timi, Francesco Scianna, Chiara Caselli, Marcello Mazzarella narrates the story of Armida Miserere, the first woman to direct a high security jail in Italy.
- Quello che Cerchi (2001) ("What you're looking for")
- La fortezza vista da basso (2003)
- 100 anni della nostra storia (2006)
- Riparo (2007) (Shelter Me)
- Il Colore delle Parole (2009) ("The Color of words")
- Prima di tutto (2012) ("Before anything else")
- Come il vento (2013) (Like the Wind)
- The Blue Fiction (1991) - short
- Intolerance (1996; episode "80 anni di Intolerance")
- Sell your body, Now! (1998) - short
- Corpo/Immagine (2004) - short
- Il Colpo di Pistola (2005) - short
- Barbara Paloschi (3 May 2014). "Puccioni, Giampietro e i due gemelli, storia di una famglia omogenitoriale". ansa.it (in Italian). Retrieved 15 February 2019.
Marco Simon Puccioni è nato a Roma nel 1963
- Paolo Boschi (20 August 2002). "Quello che cerchi: Regia di Marco Simon Puccioni". Scanner (in Italian). Archived from the original on 20 August 2002. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Jeannette Catsoulis (28 March 2008). "Out on the Waves". New York Times. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Deborah Young (6 March 2007). "Review: 'Shelter'". Variety. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Riparo" (PDF). Berlin Film Festival (in German). 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 November 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "RIPARO, di Marco Simon Puccioni, con Maria de Medeiros, ..." Il Tempo (in Italian). 22 January 2008. Archived from the original on 18 November 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Gabriella Gallozzi (11 January 2008). "PRIMEFILM Dal 18 l'opera di Puccioni su fabbriche, amori tra don ne e clandestiniL'immigrato al "Riparo" di un triangolo". l'Unità (in Italian). Archived from the original on 18 November 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Carla Cigognini (15 January 2008). "Riparo Anis Tra di Noi: foto, trailer e recensioni". Cineblog (in Italian). Archived from the original on 16 January 2008. Retrieved 18 November 2013. Contains a longer list of reviews in the Italian press.
- Ignazio Sanna. ""Riparo" di Marco Simon Puccioni". Cinemecum (in Italian). Archived from the original on 18 November 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Christian Paterno (9 November 2013). "Valeria Golino: Miserere per Armida". Cinecitta (in Italian). Archived from the original on 18 November 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Deborah Young (10 November 2013). "Like the Wind (Come il vento): Rome Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 November 2013.