Margaret Eaton, Baroness Eaton
She has been a Councillor with Bradford Metropolitan Borough Council since 1986 and was the Chairman of the Local Government Association until June 2011. She still relies very heavily on the LGA to provide her work in the House of Lords, and they often write speeches for her.
Born as Ellen Margaret Midgley in 1942 to John and Evelyn (née Smith) Midgley, she attended Hanson Grammar School and the Balls Park Teacher Training College (Cert. Ed). She worked as a schoolteacher. In 1969, she married John Eaton, with whom she has a son and a daughter.
- Member, Bradford Metropolitan Borough Council, since 1986
- Leader of Conservative Group 1995–
- Council Leader 2000–06
- Former chair: Bradford Local Strategic Partnership Board, Bradford Cultural Consortium
- Former co-chair, Bradford Safer Communities Partnership; Director: Bradford Centre Regeneration Company, Leeds Bradford International Airport
- Member, Yorkshire and Humber Assembly[when?]
- Local Government Association: Vice-chairman, Conservative Group, Chairman, Conservative Group, 2008–11
- Member, Committee of the Regions, 2003–06
- Deputy Lieutenant for West Yorkshire since 2008
- Chairman, Local Government Association, 2008–11
- Chairman and Trustee, Near Neighbours (national registered charity)
- Trustee, Angelus Foundation (national registered charity for drugs education)
- Trustee, Cottingley Town Hall, Cottingley, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2003 Birthday Honours.
- Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in the 2010 New Year Honours
- Baroness Eaton, of Cottingley, in the County of West Yorkshire on 21 July 2010
- Honorary Doctor of Laws of the University of Bradford - December 2012
- Profile at House of Lords Archived 18 October 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "An icy reception: Assessing the fallout from the Icelandic banking collapse was not the easiest way to start a job, but the new head of the Local Government Association tells Peter Hetherington why she is confident there is no crisis", by Peter Hetherington, The Guardian, Tuesday 21 October 2008.
- "Bingley ward member of Bradford Council tells of ceremony". Telegraph & Argus. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "No. 56963". The London Gazette (Supplement). 14 June 2003. p. 11.
- "No. 59282". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2009. p. 6.
- "Baroness Eaton, DBE DL, Honorary Fellow". Bradford College. Archived from the original on 20 March 2013. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "No. 59497". The London Gazette. 26 July 2010. p. 14201.
- "Baroness Eaton DBE, DL". Marston. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
Sir Simon Milton
| Chair of the Local Government Association
Sir Merrick Cockell
|This biography of a life peer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|