Maria Cristina Finucci
Maria Cristina Finucci
|Alma mater||University of Florence|
|Occupation||Artist & Architect|
|Garbage Patch State|
Finucci is married to the current Ambassador of Italy to the Holy See, Pietro Sebastiani. The couple has four children and four grandchildren.
During her career as an architect, she has lived and worked in Moscow, New York, Paris, Brussels, and Madrid. Her projects have been published in various magazines and books. Her furniture designs have been exhibited at the Salone del Mobile in Milan. She has collaborated as a foreign correspondent to the architecture magazine Controspazio.
Her artistic research, started at a very young age, has encompassed painting, sculpture, architecture, design, video art, and film post-production. In 2010, her work was featured in a solo exhibition titled Paradigms at the Lu.CCA Museum.
The Garbage Patch State project
In 2013 she began her monumental artistic cycle named Wasteland, a transmedia project confronting the problem of the huge islands of plastic garbage spread through the oceans, such as the Pacific Trash Vortex. The idea was to make this “territory” into a federal state. “Since the Garbage Patch keeps on being ignored by public opinion mainly because it is not visible, I came up with the idea of creating a State out of these islands completely formed by plastic wastes whose surface amounts to around sixteen millions square kilometers” stated the artist.
On 11 April 2013, with the General Director and other UNESCO authorities, Maria Cristina Finucci planted the flag of her new State and gave the inauguration speech of the Garbage Patch State. It marked the official beginning of the Wasteland cycle.
During the Venice Biennale of 2013, the Garbage Patch State, like the majority of other states, had its own pavilion in the yard of the Ca’ Foscari University. Thousands of colored plastic cups climbed over the walls surrounding the ancient building as if they were going to reach the lagoon.
In 2014 the Garbage Patch State went to Madrid for ARCO, the international art fair, with a public installation on Gran Vía. This work consisted of a “sheet” made out of plastic bottles containing flower sprouts, that at night lit up with camera flashes.
For the first National day of the Garbage Patch State, the artist inaugurated the first Embassy in the MAXXI Museum of Rome. She also realized a new installation consisting of a long plastic “wave” composed of thousands of fragments of recycled plastic bottles.
From September to October 2014 the Garbage Patch State was hosted in the UN headquarters in New York.
Among the collateral events of Milan EXPO 2015, the artist created a new installation “The Vortex”, commissioned by Bracco Foundation. The Vortex is now part of the permanent collection of the Bracco Foundation.
In the same year, the hall of the High Level Conference Bluemed for climate in Venice hosted a mysterious animal formed by plastic wastes from the oceans, the Bluemedsaurus.
Crawling through the masses of wastes of the world, the plastic snake reached Paris to show itself to the heads of states present for the Climate Conference COP 21.
The Wasteland cycle continues on the island of Mozia (Trapani), with a monumental installation consisting of five millions of plastic cups contained in metallic cages. The structure, seen from above, forms the word HELP.
In June 2018, for World Oceans Day, Maria Cristina Finucci launched her latest work: a new HELP sign appeared in the Forum, Rome, as a sign of alarm to the millions of tourists visiting this famous archeological place.
- The Garbage Patch State : The "Away" State. Crocetta del Montello: Terra Ferma. 2013. ISBN 9788863222050. OCLC 888745500.
- The Garbage Patch State: HELP The Age of Plastic. Italy: Terra Firma. 2016. ISBN 978-88-6322-289-0.
-  "Fra architettura e scenografia. Allestimenti di Massimo Quendolo", Controspazio, n. 106;
-  "Poesie e virtuosismo", Controspazio, n. 2, pp.70-75
-  "Xenia Pompeiana. Intervista a Luciano Cupelloni e Stefano De Caro", Controspazio, n. 4;
-  "Nel cuore del tempo. Intervista a Giancarlo Barbato", Controspazio, n. 1;
-  "Chiarezza e semplicita: lo studio Pagnamenta e Torriani a New York", Controspazio, n.1;
-  "Renzo Piano per l'Atelier Brancusi", Controspazio, n.2;
-  "Negozio Banana Republic", Controspazio, n. 4;
-  "A colloquio con Giovanni Pasanella", Controspazio, n. 6;
Awards and honors
- Marisa Bellisario Prize - Lifetime Achievement Award "Golden Apple" [Premio Speciale Alla Carriera]
- International Civiltà dell’Acqua "Renzo Franzin" Award
- Award "R.O.S.A. Canova Club" XIV Edition 2018 "for results obtained without external help".
- Special prize "Anima per il sociale" 2018
- Award from "Club UNESCO Lucca" 2018 to education to sustainable development education.
- Innovation experience award "Angi" 2018
- On February 15th 2019 Finucci received an honor from the Italian Republic for her commitment in her artistic work dedicated to the environment.
- Sloane Gardens Apartment, London
- Apartment in Isernia, Italy
- Piazza Navona Penthouse, Rome
- Apartment on Rue du Cloître-Notre-Dame, Paris
- Duplex with views, Paris
- Chalet on the Periphery, Rome
- Palazzo in Circeo, Italy
- Apartment in Metropolitan Tower, New York City
- Testaccio Apartment, Rome
- Duplex on Rue Rouelle, Paris
- Apartment near Piazza Navona, Rome
- Piazza Navona Apartment, Rome
- Strozzi Farmhouse, Chianti, Italy
- Apartment Rue Jacob, Paris
- Prati Apartment, Rome
- Quai Saint-Michel Penthouse, Paris
- Lucardo Alto House, Chianti, Italy
- Farm in Capalbio, Italy
- Agricultural Complex, Chianti, Italy
- Townhouse at Colosseo, Rome
- "Design Index 2017". Interni Magazine. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- Richmond, Ben (12 April 2013). "Welcome to Garbage Patch State, Where Plastic Rules". Vice. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Amadasi, Barbara (2 November 2016). "The Garbage State". Vogue. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Joël., Cariou, (2009). Appartements d'architectes à Paris. Paris: Parigramme. ISBN 9782840965817. OCLC 451095477.
- New Paris interiors = nouveaux intérieurs parisiens. Taschen, Angelika., Phillips, Ian. Köln: Taschen. 2008. ISBN 9783836502504. OCLC 271690652.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Finucci, Maria Cristina (2000), "Nel cuore del tempo. Intervista a Giancarlo Barbato", Controspazio, n. 1
- Finucci, Maria Cristina (1997), "Renzo Piano per l'Atelier Brancusi", Controspazio, n.2;
- "Sculture da lavoro. Upper, Aer, design Cristina Finucci" (2008), US workplace – contract – design- management, n. 2, pagg. 56–61;
- "Maria Cristina Finucci. Paradigms". Lu.CCA Museum Foundation.
- "2014 – Roma | Fondazione Bellisario". www.fondazionebellisario.org (in Italian). Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "Premio Civiltà dell'Acqua Renzo Franzin - Fondazione Benetton Studi Ricerche". Fondazione Benetton Studi Ricerche (in Italian). Retrieved 4 October 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maria Cristina Finucci.|