Marilyn E. Strutchens (born 1962) is an African-American mathematics educator focusing on the training of secondary-school mathematics teachers and on equity issues in mathematics education. She has served as president of the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators, and is Emily R. and Gerald S. Leischuck Endowed Professor for Critical Needs and Mildred Cheshire Fraley Distinguished Professor of Mathematics Education, and Program Coordinator for Secondary Mathematics Education in the Department of Curriculum and Teaching at Auburn University.
Education and career
Strutchens studied fashion merchandising as an undergraduate. She was a middle school mathematics teacher before earning her doctorate in mathematics education, which she completed in 1993 at the University of Georgia. Her dissertation, Exploratory Study Of The Societal And Ethnic Factors Affecting Sixth Grade African American Students' Performance In A Mathematics Class, was supervised by James W. Wilson.
She worked as an assistant professor at the University of Kentucky from 1993 to 1995 and at the University of Maryland, College Park from 1995 to 2000 before joining the Auburn faculty in 2000. She became Fraley Distinguished Professor in 2009, and Leischuck Endowed Professor in 2015.
She was president of the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators for 2011–2013.
Strutchens was selected to give the Judith E. Jacobs Lecture at the 2017 annual conference of the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators.
- Birth year from WorldCat author profile, accessed 2018-10-03
- Hartlep, Nicholas D.; Theodosopoulos, Kendra (October 9, 2014), "African Americans Who Hold Endowed and Distinguished Professorships in Education", Journal of Blacks in Higher Education
- Marilyn Strutchens, COE professor, leads NSF grant to improve mathematics outcomes for teachers and students, Auburn University, February 6, 2018, retrieved 2018-10-03
- Marilyn E. Strutchens, AMTE Past-President (2011–2013), Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators, retrieved 2018-10-03
- "Marilyn Strutchens", College of Education Directory, Auburn University, retrieved 2018-10-03
- Marilyn Strutchens at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Marilyn E. Strutchens, Candidate for Director, At-Large, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 2014, retrieved 2018-10-03
- "Featured Speaker – Marilyn E. Strutchens, Judith E. Jacobs Lecture", 2017 Annual AMTE Conference, retrieved 2018-10-03