Mark Price, Baron Price
|The Right Honourable
The Lord Price
|Minister of State for Trade and Investment|
4 April 2016
|Prime Minister||David Cameron
|Preceded by||The Lord Maude of Horsham|
2 March 1961 |
|Alma mater||London Business School|
Mark Ian Price, Baron Price CVO (born 2 March 1961) is a British businessman and former Managing Director of Waitrose, and Deputy Chairman of the John Lewis Partnership. He joined the Conservative government as the Minister of State for Trade and Investment in April 2016.
He started his career at the John Lewis Partnership as a graduate trainee in 1982, before progressing to become John Lewis store manager in High Wycombe and Cheadle. In 2005, he joined the John Lewis Partnership Board taking on responsibility for strategy as Development Director. In April 2007, the then Managing Director Steven Esom left the Partnership, and Price was appointed as his replacement. At the time Waitrose had 183 stores, and within six years this number had increased to 300.
In October 2015 Price announced he was to leave the John Lewis Partnership in April 2016 after 10 years fulfilling the role of Managing Director of Waitrose. Suggestions have been made saying that Mark may apply for the chairman position of Channel 4.
In February 2016 it was announced that Price would become the new Minister of State for Trade, after the resignation of Lord Maude of Horsham, and that he would be made a life peer. On 29 February, he was created Baron Price, of Sturminster Newton in the County of Dorset.
Price has served as Chairman of Business in the Community since 2011 and The Prince's Countryside Fund since 2010. He sits on the Board of Directors of Channel 4 and the Consumer Goods Forum. He was appointed Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO) in the 2014 New Year Honours for his work with Business in the Community and The Prince's Countryside Fund. Price is also a Life Patron at GroceryAid.
Styles of address
- Rigby, Elizabeth (June 19, 2010). "Lunch with the FT: Mark Price". Financial Times.
- Blackhurst, Chris (December 15, 2010). "The jolly grocer who's made Waitrose the chain to watch". London Evening Standard.
- Teather, David (5 October 2007). "'To be honest, I'm all about a love of food. The fact is I am chubby'". The Guardian.
- Uloth, Rupert (24 January 2008). "Interview: Waitrose MD Mark Price". Country Life.
- "The Prince's Countryside Fund". www.princescountrysidefund.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-02-20.
- "Ministerial appointment: Mark Ian Price". Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- The Prince's Countryside Fund trustees
- Hawkes, Steve (26 July 2013). "Waitrose chief Mark Price named deputy chairman of John Lewis". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- Sheffield, Hazel (20 October 2015). "Waitrose boss Mark Price resigns". The Independent. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- Farrell, Sean; Sweney, Mark (20 October 2015). "Waitrose boss Mark Price quits to 'head Channel 4'". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- The London Gazette: . 4 March 2016.
- "Channel 4 Board". Channel 4.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2013.
- "New Year Honours 2014: list in full". The Daily Telegraph. 30 December 2013.
- "Trustees and Patrons | Grocery Aid". Grocery Aid. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
|Non-Executive Deputy Chairman
of the John Lewis Partnership
The Lord Maude of Horsham
|Minister of State for
Trade and Investment