Market Rasen Mail
It was founded in 1856 by Richard Hackett (1823 – 1892), the son of a local farmer. At the age of 18 Hacket was working as an apprentice to a printer in Queen Street, Market Rasen. After a period as a bookseller in London, he returned to Market Rasen to establish the Market Rasen Weekly Mail and Lincolnshire Advertiser. The first edition was published on 20 September 1856.
In 1947 the Mail was bought by Charles Edward "Teddy" Sharpe, who remained associated with the title until his death in 1983. He modernised the business and expanded it by buying the Horncastle News and the printing company Mortons of Horncastle. In 2001 the Mail was bought by Johnston Press.
One of the biggest stories reported by the paper was the 2008 Lincolnshire earthquake, measuring 5.2 on the Richter Scale, when Market Rasen was at the epicentre. Reporters responded with a multi-media package of articles, videos, eye-witness accounts and reader submissions.
- FreeReg. Baptism Registers. Available online: baptism record. Last accessed 5 Nov 2011
- Office for National Statistics, London. Census - England & Wales – 1841. The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey: HO107/642; Book 7; Folio 37; Page 15 (Lincolnshire, Market Rasen, Enumeration District 2, page 15).
- Office for National Statistics, London. Census - England & Wales – 1851. The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey: HO107/1605; Folio 64; Page 24 (Surrey, Richmond, Enumeration District 2b, page 24).
- Market Rasen Mail (2011), ‘Mail delivered centenary news’, 4 May, page 4.
- "2000 - present". About Mortons - Company dates. Mortons of Horncastle Ltd. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
2001 – Mortons takes the radical step of moving away from local publishing and, in February, sells its Lincolnshire Independent Newspaper group to Johnston Press.
- Steed, Michael (27 February 2008). "NEW VIDEO: Massive earthquake hits Rasen". Market Rasen Mail. Retrieved 21 October 2013. and subsequent updates on the same site
- "October 2009" (PDF). Historic data. JICREG Ltd. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Newspaper Readership Report for Market Rasen Mail". JIC-IN-A-BOX online version. JICREG Ltd. 1 May 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.