This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2020)
GlobeNewswire was a Nasdaq, Inc. subsidiary from September 2006 until April 2018 when West Corporation (now Intrado) acquired the Public Relations Solutions and Digital Media Services Businesses, including GlobeNewswire, from Nasdaq.
Formerly known as PrimeNewswire, the company changed its name to GlobeNewswire in 2008 to better reflect its international scope.
According to its website, the company operates one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public.
In June 2018, GlobeNewswire introduced Media Snippets, providing the ability for organizations publishing press releases to embed a carousel of images, audio, video and live streaming into their press releases and web pages to tell a more complete brand story and increase engagement with media, investors and customers.
In 2012, GlobeNewswire introduced its Streaming Media Player, which allows users to alternate between videos and slides while monitoring a variety of news sources.
In September 2021, GlobeNewswire published an unconfirmed fake news article that Walmart will accept LiteCoin LTC payments. As a result, millions of dollars in crypto exchanges were liquidated. Shortly thereafter, the article was deleted, but the damage had already been done. The article was primarily launched by a possibly hacked LiteCoin Twitter account; alternatively, active assistance to manipulate the market is also conceivable.
- "West Corporation Closes Landmark Acquisition of Nasdaq's Public Relations and Digital Media Businesses". GlobeNewswire. April 16, 2018.
- "PrimeNewswire is now GlobeNewswire", PR Week, August 21, 2008. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- "About Us". GlobeNewswire/Nasdaq. globenewswire.com. Retrieved June 18, 2018.
- "West Corporation Introduces Media Snippets, Interactive Multimedia Modules for Content Publishing". GlobeNewswire.
- "NASDAQ OMX to launch video platform at NIRI", PR Week, June 4, 2012. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- Macheel, Melissa Repko,Tanaya (September 13, 2021). "Walmart says crypto payments announcement is fake. Litecoin tumbles after spike". CNBC. Retrieved September 13, 2021.
- "Walmart denies tieup with litecoin, fake statement rattles cryptocurrency". Reuters. September 13, 2021. Retrieved September 13, 2021.