Mary Doreen Lobel
Mary Doreen Rogers
25 June 1900
|Died||1 December 1993 (aged 93)|
|Residence||Bristol, Norwich, Oxford, Banbury|
|Alma mater||St Hugh's College, Oxford|
|Known for||English local history|
Lobel was born Mary Doreen Rogers in Bristol on 25 June 1900. She went to Clifton High School and during a school vacation she helped the coptologist W. E. Crum to prepare his A Coptic Dictionary. Mary Rogers graduated from St Hugh's College, Oxford, in the 1920s and spent a short period teaching in Norwich. In 1927 she married Edgar Lobel (1888–1982), a papryrologist and future editor of Greek lyric poetry whom she had met through Crum. They were married for 55 years, until Edgar Lobel's death in 1982.
Mary Lobel worked on the Victoria County History as a contributor to A History of the County of Oxford from the 1930s and as its Oxfordshire county editor from the 1950s until 1972. Thereafter she concentrated on editing the three-volume British Atlas of Historic Towns. While editing the Victoria County History, Lobel was also a librarian at Somerville College, Oxford.
Victoria County History
- Contributor: Salzman, Louis F.; Page, W.H.; Salter, Herbert E.; Lobel, Mary D; Crossley, Alan (1939). A History of the County of Oxford. Victoria County History. 1. Archibald Constable and Co.
- Editor, with Herbert E. Salter: A History of the County of Oxford. Victoria County History. 3. 1954.
- Editor: A History of the County of Oxford. Victoria County History. 5: Bullingdon Hundred. 1957.
- Editor: A History of the County of Oxford. Victoria County History. 6: Ploughley Hundred. 1959.
- Editor: A History of the County of Oxford. Victoria County History. 7: Thame and Dorchester Hundreds. 1962.
- Editor: A History of the County of Oxford. Victoria County History. 8: Lewknor and Pyrton Hundreds. 1964.
- Editor, with Alan Crossley: A History of the County of Oxford. Victoria County History. 9: Bloxham Hundred. 1969.
- Contributor: Crossley, Alan (ed.); Colvin, Christina; Cooper, Janet; Cooper, N.H.; Harvey, P.D.A.; Hollings, Marjory; Hook, Judith; Jessup, Mary; Lobel, Mary D.; Mason, J.F.A.; Trinder, B.S.; Turner, Hilary (1972). A History of the County of Oxford. Victoria County History. 10: Banbury Hundred.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
Atlas of Historic Towns
- Editor: The Atlas of Historic Towns: Maps and Plans of Towns and Cities in British Isles, with Historical Commentaries, from Earliest Times to 1800. Towns: Bristol, Cambridge, Coventry, Norwich. II. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press. 1975. ISBN 0-8018-1753-6.
- Editor: British Atlas of Historic Towns: The City of London from Prehistoric Times to Circa 1520. III. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-822979-8.