Mary Osborn and her husband, Klaus Weber
|Born||1940 (age 75–76)
|Thesis||The Determination and Use of Mutagen Specificity in Bacteria Containing Nonsense Codons (1967)|
|Doctoral advisor||Stanley Person|
Osborn was born in Darlington, UK,, Osborn was educated at Cheltenham Ladies' College and Newnham College, Cambridge where she graduated in Mathematics and Physics in 1962. She went on to take a masters in biophysics at Pennsylvania State University in 1963 and a PhD on mutagenesis in nonsense mutations in bacteria, awarded by Pennsylvania State University in 1972 and supervised by Stanley Person.
Osborn did postdoctoral research at Harvard University with Nobel Laureate James Watson. She conducted research at the Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK before moving to the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Osborn and her husband, Klaus Weber, relocated to the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry in 1975.
Awards and honours
Osborn has been awarded several prizes and honours including:
- Osborn, Mary (1967). The Determination and Use of Mutagen Specificity in Bacteria Containing Nonsense Codons (PhD thesis). Pennsylvania State University.
- Bockrath, R. C.; Osborn, M; Person, S (1968). "Nonsense suppression in a multiauxotrophic derivative of Escherichia coli 15T-: Identification and consequences of an amber triplet in the deoxyribomutase gene". Journal of Bacteriology. 96 (1): 146–53. PMC . PMID 4874302.
- Person, S; Osborn, M (1968). "The conversion of amber suppressors to ochre suppressors". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 60 (3): 1030–7. doi:10.1073/pnas.60.3.1030. PMC . PMID 4875805.
- Dean, Caroline; Osborn, Mary; Oshlack, Alicia; Thornton, Janet (2012). "Women in Science". Genome Biology. 13 (3): 148–201. doi:10.1186/gb4005. PMC . PMID 22405408.
- "Mary Osborn CV". Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry. 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-03-05.
- "MARY OSBORN (England)". UNESCO. 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-08-19.
- Watt, F. M. (2004). "Mary Osborn". Journal of Cell Science. 117 (8): 1285–1286. doi:10.1242/jcs.01099.