Marylou and Jerome Bongiorno
Marylou Tibaldo-Bongiorno and Jerome Bongiorno are husband-and-wife filmmakers based in Newark, New Jersey, USA. Marylou is a producer, director and screenwriter who received her MFA from the graduate film program at New York University. Jerome is a cinematographer, editor, animator and screenwriter.
Their award winning films include the 3Rs trilogy of documentaries on urban America: Revolution '67 on the 1967 Newark riots/rebellion; The Rule, on the highly successful urban school model of Newark Abbey and Saint Benedict's Preparatory School (screened by the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for African Americans at the U.S. Department of Education), both broadcast nationally on PBS, and Rust, on solutions to inner city poverty. Their Emmy-nominated documentary Mother-Tongue: Italian American Sons & Mothers featured Martin Scorsese, John Turturro, Rudy Giuliani and Pat DiNizio.
The Bongiornos' museum installations in 3D are New Work: Art in 3D which began with Newark in 3D, commissioned and exhibited by the Newark Museum from 2009 to 2010 and reinstalled in 2016, and installed at Newark Liberty International Airport from 2013 to 2014 as the airport's first art film; The Brooklyn Waterfront in 3D, presented by the Museum of the City of New York in 2010; and SI3D (Staten Island in 3D) commissioned and exhibited by the Staten Island Museum from 2015 to 2017.
They created and hosted the Watermark (fiction film) Conference at Wingspread and the Newark Poverty Reduction Conference at Rutgers University and presented solutions to poverty at TEDxNJIT.
- Rule Makers (22 May 2014). "Rule Makers". Radius-magazine.info. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- Pro.sony.com https://web.archive.org/web/20160223165556/https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/bbsc/ssr/cat-recmedia/cat-recmediaproaudio/resource.articles.bbsccms-assets-mkt-recmedia-articles-bongiorno.shtml. Archived from the original on 23 February 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2016. Missing or empty
- "Rutgers newsletter".
- "Revolution '67 - The Leonard Lopate Show". WNYC. 10 July 2007. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "The Rule: Film Review". Hollywood Reporter. 4 September 2014. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "The Rule". PBS film website.
- "ed blog". U.S. Department of Education. Archived from the original on 2016-03-31.
- "Revolution '67". ITVS. 10 July 2007. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- Marylou Bongiorno. "PBS Pressroom - THE RULE". Pressroom.pbs.org. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "nj.com". 9 September 2014.
- "52a Mostra Internazionale del Nuovo Cinema | Mother-Tongue: Italian American Sons & Mothers". Pesarofilmfest.it. 21 June 2007. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Newark Museum podcast".
- "New Work: Newark in 3D". Newark Museum website. Archived from the original on 2016-03-19. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- Jennifer Schuessler (1 January 2014), "At Newark Airport, a 3-D Distraction", New York Times. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- "State of the Arts - Newark in 3D". Njtvonline.org. 28 March 2014. Archived from the original on 22 February 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "NYCH website". Archived from the original on 2016-05-08. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "SI3D". Staten Island Museum website.
- "Watermark Film Conference". prweb.
- The newsletter of the New Jersey Council for the Humanities Archived 2017-05-10 at the Wayback Machine
- "The Theme of the TEDxNJIT Was Urban Renewal". Njit.edu. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "MacDowell Colony Index of MacDowell Fellows". Archived from the original on 2009-05-26. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- Glass, Guy. "The Black Monk". NYU School of Medicine. NYU School of Medicine. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- Bongiorno Productions - Filmmakers’ Company website
- Revolution ’67 - film’s website
- Revolution '67 - PBS's America Reframed site dedicated to the film
- Revolution '67 - PBS's POV site dedicated to the film
- The Rule - PBS's site dedicated to the film
- The Rule - film's website
- Mother-Tongue: Italian American Sons & Mothers - film's website
- New Work: Newark in 3D - Newark Museum podcast
- New Work: Art in 3D - films' website
- Newark Poverty Reduction Conference - conference website
- Marylou & Jerome Bongiorno: Reduce Poverty in Inner Cities - TEDxNJIT talk