Maryvale High School (Cheektowaga, New York)
|Maryvale High School|
|1050 Maryvale Drive, Cheektowaga, New York 14225
Cheektowaga, New York
|Motto||S.O.A.R.: Safety, Ownership, Appropriate Actions, Respect.|
|School district||Maryvale Union Free School District|
|NCES School ID||361860001678|
Thomas StackJeffrey Barthelme (Assistant Principal)
|Color(s)||Maroon and White|
Maryvale High School is a high school in Cheektowaga, New York, United States. It is a member of the Maryvale Union Free School District. As of the 2017-18 school year, the school has approximately 665 students.
Maryvale's sports teams are known as the Flyers.
Their main rivals are Cheektowaga Central (Central) and Depew High Schools. Their longest standing rival has been cross town Cleveland Hill High School which is the closest geographically to Maryvale's main campus. Maryvale's first widely known mascot was the Peanuts character Snoopy, depicted in his World War I goggles and pilot's hat flying after the Red Baron. Maryvale was established in the late 1940s after World War II. Due to its proximity to Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF/KBUF) and industries such as Bell Aerospace, Curtis Wright (P-40) and Calspan, Maryvale adopted its title as the Flyers. With the creation of Snoopy in 1950, Maryvale eventually adopted the most worldwide recognized pilot of the time as its mascot. Due to trademark usage/infringement issues (Peanuts Worldwide LLC), Maryvale's mascot has been changed to Pegasus. However Loyola College Prep in Shreveport, La is now the only school in the nation to legally have Snoopy as a World War I pilot as a mascot.
Maryvale has had many championship seasons throughout its history. From the beginning through the 1970s, Maryvale was a powerhouse of champions in all sports. Maryvale consistently sent athletes on to college and universities with partial and sometimes full scholarships. Maryvale graduates have successful careers in business, government, the military, and private sectors. The Maryvale boys’ basketball team won a section championship during the 2005-06 season and again during the 2006-07 season against Depew. Their boys’ soccer team also won a section title in 2010, defeating large school Sweet Home in a shootout.
- Thomas Stack, Principal
- Jeffrey Barthelme, Assistant Principal
- Andrew Anderson - NBA player
- Bob Charles Beers - Former NHL defenseman, current radio analyst for the Boston Bruins
- William Fichtner - Actor, as seen in The Dark Knight,"Mom", Prison Break, he also had a main cast role in Armageddon and appeared in The Longest Yard.
- Chelsea Noble: Actress, wife of Kirk Cameron.
- Pat Occhiuto- 1975 graduate of Maryvale is a retired Italian-American soccer forward who played professionally in the American Soccer League, United Soccer League, Major Indoor Soccer League and National Professional Soccer League.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Maryvale High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved July 29, 2012.
- "Maryvale High School website".