|Platform(s)||PlayStation 2, Xbox, Microsoft Windows|
PlayStation 2 & Xbox|
|Genre(s)||Vehicular combat, racing|
Mashed is a vehicular combat racing video game developed by Supersonic Software. The game was originally released in Europe for PlayStation 2, Xbox and Microsoft Windows in June 2004. An updated version with additional features, titled Mashed: Fully Loaded in Europe and Drive to Survive internationally, was released in Europe in March 2005 and in North America in December 2006. The direct sequel Wrecked: Revenge Revisited was released in 2012.
This section possibly contains original research. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mashed is a top-down vehicular combat racing video game, similar in style to Micro Machines, Circuit Breakers and Super Sprint. Each race consists of four vehicles. The player has to navigate various obstacles and obtain weapon pickups to succeed. The game operates a left-behind principle: the camera tries to keep all players in one screen, and if one drops far enough behind in the race, they are eliminated, and the other players race on. This continues until there is one player left, who is given two points, while the rest of the racers also gain or lose points depending on their final position in the round. The system then repeats until a player reaches a set number of points, usually 10 or 12. In multiplayer, knocked out players have the option of striking cars still racing with partially controlled missiles, known as airstrikes.
While the game allows four-player multiplayer, the PlayStation 2 only natively supported two controllers. Since the game used so few buttons, the PlayStation 2 version uniquely allows two people to share a controller - one player would use the D-pad and the left stick, the other would use the colored buttons and the right stick. The game supports the PS2 multi tap for four players
Mashed received positive reviews. Andy Young writing for VideoGamer.com gave it 8/10 saying "A great multiplayer game. One of the best in recent memory"  Aggregating review website GameRankings gave the PlayStation 2 version 79.13%, the Xbox version 78.38% and the PC version 70.14%.
- "Mashed Release Information for PlayStation 2". GameFAQs. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed Fully Loaded Release Information for PlayStation 2". GameFAQs. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed Release Information for Xbox". GameFAQs. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed Fully Loaded Release Information for Xbox". GameFAQs. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed: Drive to Survive Release Information for PC". GameFAQs. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed Review - VideoGamer.com". VideoGamer.com. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- "Mashed: Drive to Survive for PlayStation 2". GameRankings. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed: Drive to Survive for Xbox". GameRankings. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed: Drive to Survive for PC". GameRankings. Retrieved 21 October 2013.