Massachusetts Route 88
Map of Bristol County in southeastern Massachusetts with Route 88 highlighted in red
|Maintained by MassDOT|
|Length||11.30 mi (18.19 km)|
|South end||John Reed Road in Westport|
|North end||I‑195 in Westport|
Route 88 begins at the northern end of the Horseneck Beach State Reservation lands, on a peninsula dividing the East Branch of the Westport River from Buzzards Bay. After just 0.3 miles (0.48 km), it crosses the Normand Edward Fontaine Bridge over that river into the Westport Point section of town.
- Mile 1.2 - Drift Road (at-grade) - Drift Road parallels Route 88 to the east, and Main Road (which is accessible just west of this intersection) parallels it to the west, with both ending at Old County Road (see below).
- Mile 4.2 - Hix Bridge Road (at-grade) - This intersection is the closest to the town center from the south. A new fire station was completed in 2010 just northwest of this intersection.
- Mile 6.3 - Charlotte White Road Extension (at-grade) - This intersection is the closest to the town center from the north.
- Mile 7.8 - Old County Road (at-grade) - Provides access to Westport High School to the west, and the Elementary & Middle Schools, the Head of Westport, and eventually the Westport Fair grounds and UMass Dartmouth to the east.
- Mile 8.6 - Route 177 - Access provided by straight ramps north and south. This exit provides the nearest access to Route 6 in Dartmouth.
- Mile 10.3 - Briggs Road (at-grade) - Can be used to access Route 6 eastbound via nearby Gifford Road, to the east. To the west of this intersection is the North Westport fire station.
- Mile 11.0 - U.S. Route 6 - a half-cloverleaf intersection.
Route 88 ends just north of Route 6 and the abandoned Old Colony Rail line at an interchange with I-195, where westbound entrance and exit fly on separate overpasses over the interstate, and eastbound entrance and exit are direct ramps with no flyovers.
Route 88 is a two-lane expressway or "Super-2." Route 88 (like other such roads) is peculiar in its design in that, while it has at-grade intersections with town roads and is not divided by barriers or grass median between the Fontaine Bridge and Old County Road (except at intersections), there is no development of any kind that abuts the route directly; the only property that comes close is an ice cream stand on the southeast corner of Route 88 and Hix Bridge Road, but even this only has a driveway from Hix Bridge Road.
|0.0||0.0||John Reed Road||To Horseneck Beach State Reservation|
|Normand Edward Fontaine Bridge over the Westport River|
|8.6||13.8||Route 177 – Newport, RI, New Bedford||Interchange|
|11.0||17.7||US 6 – North Westport, Dartmouth||Interchange|
|11.3||18.2||I‑195 – Providence, RI, New Bedford, Cape Cod||Exit 10 on I-195|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Massachusetts Route 88.|