William James College
|Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology (MSPP)|
|Motto||Meeting the Need...Making a Difference|
|President||Nicholas Covino, PsyD|
|Location||Newton, Massachusetts, United States
William James College, formerly Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology (MSPP), is a graduate college of psychology founded in 1974 in the Boston, Massachusetts neighborhood of West Roxbury. The school relocated to the neighboring town of Newton in 2012. With nearly 700 students, William James College offers seventeen graduate academic degree programs and one academic graduate certificate across four departments: Clinical Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Organizational and Leadership Psychology, and School Psychology. William James College has three centers: The Brenner Center for Psychological Assessment and Testing, The Freedman Center, and The Lucero Center for Latino Mental Health.
William James College uses an experiential education model, which combines academic instruction with supervised clinical experience. Students are in the field beginning in the first year, and are placed in various local field facilities including social service agencies, schools, hospitals, community mental health centers, child guidance clinics, court clinics, college counseling centers, private agencies and corporate settings.
The Lucero Latino Mental Health Training Program is a concentration open to students from many of the graduate programs, specializing in the specific mental health needs of Latino patients or clients. The Dr. Cynthia Lucero Center, which sponsors the concentration in Latino Mental Health, was founded by the friends and family of the late Dr. Cynthia Lucero, a graduate of William James College. Lectures and scholarships in Cynthia’s memory are also sponsored by the Lucero Center. The academic concentration provides relevant coursework and summer immersion programs in Costa Rica and Ecuador focused on improving Spanish language skills and exposure to Latino cultures through community service mental health work.
One distinguishing William James College program is designed to "train vets to treat vets". In 2011, William James College was awarded a grant from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, working to recruit veterans and train them to meet the mental health needs of their fellow service men and women. William James College participates in the Veteran’s Administration Yellow Ribbon Program and provides matching grant assistance to eligible veterans.
William James College also has special training programs in child and adolescent mental health.
- Clinical Psychology PsyD
- Counseling Psychology, MA
- Counseling Psychology and Community Mental Health, MA
- Counseling and Health Psychology, MA
- Forensic and Counseling Psychology, MA (Blended)
- Counseling Psychology and Global Mental Health, MA
- Counseling Psychology in Expressive Arts Therapy, MA
- Counseling Psychology in Couples and Family Therapy, MA
Organizational and Leadership Psychology
- Leadership Psychology, PsyD (Blended). See also an explanation of Leadership Psychology
- Applied Psychology: Higher Education Student Personnel Administration, MA (Online)
- Organizational Psychology, MA (Blended, Online)
- Executive Coaching, Graduate Certificate (Blended)
William James College is accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). The MA/CAGS in School Psychology is an approved program by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP).
Continuing and community education
William James College offers professional continuing education for psychologists, social workers, nurses, mental health counselors, school psychologists, counselors, other mental health professionals, educators, businessmen and women, psychotherapists, and the community.
In addition, the Freedman Center for Child and Family Development, offers courses for parents.
Notes and references
- William James College Home Page - www.WilliamJames.edu
- "Graduate Psychology School Field Placement & Training" - http://www.WilliamJames.edu/academics/field-placement/default.asp
- "Latino Mental Health Training Program - William James College Lucero Center" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/centers-of-excellence/latino-mental-health/program-overview.cfm
- "Remembering Dr. Cynthia Lucero: The Marathon Solution" - https://bostonmarathoncoach.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/remembering-dr-cynthia-lucero//
- "Meet Our Lucero Scholars: The Dr. Cynthia Lucero Center at William James College" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/centers-of-excellence/latino-mental-health/lucero-scholars/index.cfm
- "'Train Veterans to Treat Veterans' Program Becomes Law in Massachusetts" - http://patch.com/massachusetts/westroxbury/train-veterans-to-treat-veterans-program-becomes-law-46d2194ab4
- "Children and Families of Adversity and Resilience (CFAR) Concentration" http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/clinical/psyd/concentration-children-and-families-of-adversity-and-resilience.cfm
- "PsyD Program (Doctorate in Clinical Psychology) - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/clinical/psyd/index.cfm
- "Masters Program in Counseling Psychology" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/counseling/counseling-ma/index.cfm
- "Community Mental Health Masters Program" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/counseling/community-mental-health-ma/index.cfm
- "Masters in Counseling and Health Psychology, Newton, MA" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/counseling/health-psychology-ma/index.cfm
- "Forensic Psychology Masters Program, William James College" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/counseling/forensic-ma/index.cfm
- Masters in Counseling Psychology and Global Mental Health, Boston, MA" -http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/counseling/global-mental-health-ma/index.cfm
- "Expressive Arts Therapy Masters Program, William James College" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/counseling/expressive-arts-therapy-ma/index.cfm
- "Couples and Family Masters Program, William James College" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/counseling/couples-family-therapy-ma/index.cfm
- "PsyD Program in Leadership Psychology" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/olp/leadership-psyd/index.cfm
- "Master of Arts in Applied Psychology: Higher Education Student Personnel Administration, Online" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/olp/hespa-ma/index.cfm
- Masters Program in Organizational Psychology - William James College" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/olp/organizational-ma/index.cfm
- "Executive Coaching Program - William James College" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/olp/executive-coaching/index.cfm
- PsyD Program in School Psychology - William James College, Newton, MA" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/school/school-psyd/index.cfm
- "School Psychology Masters (MA) & Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS)" - http://www.williamjames.edu/academics/school/school-ma-cags/index.cfm
- "Accreditation" - http://apa.org/education/grad/program-accreditation.aspx
- "New England Association of Schools and Colleges: Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (CIHE) - http://cihe.neasc.org/
- "National Association of School Psychologists" - http://www.nasponline.org/
- "Continuing Education Programs for Psychologists" - http://www.apa.org/education/ce/index.aspx
- [dead link]
- School Website
- William James College Continuing Education Website
- Freedman Center for Child and Family Development
- Brenner Center for Psychological Assessment and Consultation[dead link]
- Dr. Cynthia Lucero Center[dead link]