October 28, 1986 |
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||232 lb (105 kg; 16 st 8 lb)|
|Played for||Minnesota Wild
|NHL Draft||57th overall, 2005
Kassian made his NHL debut during the 2010-11 season after originally being selected in the second round, 57th overall, by Minnesota in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. His junior hockey career was spent with the Vancouver Giants of the WHL.
On November 3, 2010, the Minnesota Wild recalled Kassian from the American Hockey League's Houston Aeros. During the month of November 2010 Kassian played four games for the Wild, collecting 12 minutes in penalties and no points, with only a single shot on goal. He was then assigned back to the Aeros in December. He was re-called from the Aeros in mid-January. He recorded his first NHL goal on March 1, 2012 in the first period of a game against the Montreal Canadiens. He scored his second NHL goal in the third period of that same game.
On March 12, 2013, Kassian was traded from the Wild to the Ottawa Senators for a sixth round draft pick in 2014. He spent the remainder of the 2012-13 season and all of the 2013-14 season with the Senators, appearing in a total of 48 games, serving primarily as an enforcer. Following the 2013-14 season, Kassian was not re-signed by Ottawa. "I wanted to be back and they felt otherwise. That's their right as an organization," he said.
In September 2014, Kassian was invited to Arizona Coyotes' training camp but was ultimately not offered a contract. He was invited to attend AHL affiliate, the Portland Pirates training camp, and appeared in 2 games in the 2014-15 season with the club before ending his professional career and enrolling in business school.
- "Senators acquire forward Matt Kassian from Minnesota in exchange for Ottawa's sixth-round draft pick in 2014". Ottawa Senators. 2013-06-26. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Wild recall Kassian; Latendresse on IR". Minnesota Wild. 2010-11-03. Retrieved 2010-11-03.
- "Matt Kassian (NHL Player Profile)". National Hockey League. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Kassian tallies two goals in win over Canadiens". The Sports Network. 2012-03-03. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Senators acquire Matt Kassian from Wild for draft pick". The Sports Network. 2013-03-12. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- "Ex-Senator Kassian still looking for work". Ottawa Sun. 2014-09-02. Retrieved 2014-09-02.
- "Coyotes invite Kassian, two others to camp: report". National Hockey League. 2014-09-26. Retrieved 2014-09-26.
- "Shifting NHL culture knocks enforcers down for the count". The Globe and Mail. 2015-03-23. Retrieved 2015-03-23.
- "March 16: Gameday Goodie - Matt Kassian". Ottawa Senators. 2013-03-16. Retrieved 2013-03-16.