September 29, 1986 |
East Greenbush, NY, USA
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||204 lb (93 kg; 14 st 8 lb)|
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs
|NHL Draft||22nd overall, 2005
Matt Robert Lashoff (born September 29, 1986) is an American professional ice hockey defenseman. He is currently an unrestricted free agent who most recently played for the San Antonio Rampage of the American Hockey League (AHL). Lashoff was selected by the Boston Bruins in the 1st round (22nd overall) of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. He is the older brother of Detroit Red Wings defenseman, Brian Lashoff.
Lashoff prepped at Avon Old Farms School in Avon, Connecticut under famed coach John T. Gardner. He was drafted by the Boston Bruins in the first round, 22nd overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. After playing three seasons in the Ontario Hockey League with the Kitchener Rangers, Lashoff made his professional debut at the end of the 2005–06 season with the Bruins' American Hockey League affiliate, the Providence Bruins.
On April 4, 2007, Lashoff was named to the 2006–07 AHL All-Rookie Team. On March 4, 2009, at the trade deadline for the 2008–09 season, Lashoff was traded by the Bruins, along with Mārtiņš Karsums, to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Mark Recchi and a 2009 second round draft pick.
After two and a half years abroad in Sweden and Russia, Lashoff left Metallurg Novokuznetsk of the Kontinental Hockey League mid-year in the 2014–15 season, to return to North America to sign an AHL contract for the remainder of the campaign with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on January 12, 2015. Lashoff appeared in just 11 games with the Tigers before he was traded to the Portland Pirates in exchange for Dyson Stevenson on March 3, 2015.
Lashoff agreed to join the Lehigh Valley Phantoms to begin the season on October 5, 2015. In adding depth to the blueline, Lashoff appeared in 17 games for 2 assists before he was released from his contract. On February 2, 2016, Lashoff inked a contract for the remainder of the 2015–16 season with Adler Mannheim of the German top flight Deutsche Eishockey Liga. He appeared in 3 regular season games before suiting up in two post-season contests, contributing with a goal and 14 penalty minutes.
As a free agent in the following off-season, and having returned to North America from Germany, Lashoff trained and agreed to attend his former club, the Toronto Marlies training camp, in preparation for the 2016–17 season. He was released from his try-out during the pre-season on October 10, 2016. With the season underway, Lashoff belatedly agreed to a professional try-out contract with the San Antonio Rampage of the AHL, affiliate to the Colorado Avalanche, on October 26, 2016. In 19 games with the Rampage, Lashoff led the defense in scoring with 3 goals and 7 points. At the end of his try-out period, the Rampage however opted against another try-out contract concluding his tenure with the team on December 23, 2016.
Lashoff is also a musician. He released his debut album titled "Living on Heart" on May 17, 2011.
“Living on Heart” was recorded over a month in the summer of 2010, at various studios in New Jersey and New York, during Lashoff's off season. Producer Loren Harriet approached Lashoff after seeing a segment about his music career on the New England Sports Network channel. Lashoff was surprised by the opportunity and explains, “I didn't think [Harriet] was serious at first [but eventually] he was helping me choose my band which was like an all star team of some of the best studio musicians.” Lashoff says his debut album is “bluesy with a pop influence” and cites artists such as Stevie Ray Vaughan, B.B. King and Kenny Wayne Shepherd as his inspiration.
Many people may wonder how Lashoff balances his hockey and music career—he points out that hockey takes a precedent in his life; however, that does not mean his music career has to suffer – he can succeed in both. "A lot of people ask me how do you separate the two, but they've always been a part of my lifestyle. When we were kids [he is speaking as well of his brother Brian who is also a professional hockey player and plays guitar on the track "Something I Know"] we would play hockey before school and then after school till it got too dark and our mom told us to come in, then we would eat, play around on the guitar and write songs,” says Lashoff. He is now planning a second album with a different sound, that will be “more groove based and not so poppy."
|2002–03||U.S. National Development Team||USDP||62||3||8||11||67||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||12||0||7||7||10||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||5||0||0||0||21||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||11||0||1||1||6||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||11||1||3||4||22||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||Lehigh Valley Phantoms||AHL||17||0||2||2||28||—||—||—||—||—|
|2016–17||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||19||3||4||7||24||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
|Second All-Rookie Team||2004|
|CHL Top Prospects Game||2005|
|All-Star Game||2007, 2008|
- "2006-07 AHL All-Rookie Team announced". American Hockey League. 2007-04-04. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved 2008-11-10.
- "Bruins add veteran punch, '09 second rounder". National Hockey League. 2009-03-04. Retrieved 2009-03-24.
- "Maple Leafs acquire Matt Lashoff in trade". Toronto Maple Leafs. 2010-08-27. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- "There will be no culture shock" (in German). tagesanzeiger.ch. 2012-08-03. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Sound Tigers sign Lashoff". Bridgeport Sound Tigers. 2015-01-12. Retrieved 2015-01-12.
- "Pirates pick up Lashoff from Sound Tigers". American Hockey League. 2015-03-03. Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- "Adler Mannheim Stocks Up On 2 OHL Grads With NHL Experience". OHL Alumni Central. Retrieved 2016-02-12.
- "Toronto Marlies update training camp roster". Toronto Marlies. 2016-10-10. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Rampage recall Kent Simpson, sign Matt Lashoff". San Antonio Rampage. 2016-10-26. Retrieved 2016-10-26.
- "Avalanche recall Spencer Martin". San Antonio Rampage. 2016-12-23. Retrieved 2016-12-23.
- "Lashoff Realizes Musical Dream". Toronto Maple Leafs. 2011-05-18. Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- "Matt Lashoff Takes A Shot 2011 Interview". exclaim.ca. 2011-05-04. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- Matt Lashoff's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Matt Lashoff's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Matt Lashoff on Twitter
|Awards and achievements|
|Boston Bruins first round draft pick