Pietrek also has a keen interest in cocktails and spirits, and he writes a blog on the subject.
Pietrek has written several books on Microsoft Windows and for eight years wrote the column "Under the Hood" in MSJ (and subsequently) MSDN Magazine. As of April 2004 he has been working at Microsoft, initially on Visual Studio.
- Pietrek, Matt (May 5, 2019). Minimalist Tiki: A Cocktail Wonk Look at Classic Libations and the Modern Tiki Vanguard. WonkPress. ISBN 978-0-578-21844-1.
- Pietrek, Matt (November 1, 1995). Windows 95 System Programming Secrets. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 1-56884-318-6.
- Pietrek, Matt (May 31, 1993). Windows Internals. Addison-Wesley Professional. ISBN 0-201-62217-3.
- Schulman, Andrew; Maxey, David; Pietrek, Matt (August 1, 1992). Undocumented Windows. Addison-Wesley. ISBN 0-201-60834-0.
- Cocktail Wonk Pietrek's blog about cocktails and spirits.
- Pietrek's MSDN blog
- Pietrek's web site
- A Crash Course on the Depths of Win32 Structured Exception Handling - The first and most famous article describing Microsoft's Structured Exception Handling mechanism on the implementation level
- "An In-Depth Look into the Win32 Portable Executable File Format," Part1, Part2 — Pietrek's 2002 MSJ articles describing Win32 Portable Executable file format
- Peering Inside the PE: A Tour of the Win32 Portable Executable File Format — Pietrek's 1994 MSJ article, the first publicly available material on the subject.