Matt Shea (filmmaker)
Matt Shea in 'Targeted Individuals', 2017
|Born||December 16, 1991|
|Occupation||Producer, director and presenter|
Matt Shea (born 16 December 1991) is an English-American documentary filmmaker, journalist and presenter.
He is known for presenting the VICE documentaries Iceman, Targeted Individuals, Zombie Drug: The Truth About Flakka, and How Lean Became Rap's Most Wanted Drug. He produced and presented High Society, a documentary series that explores drug culture in the UK and features access to real criminals. Shea's documentaries often feature criminal access and fringe stories.
Shea started his career writing for VICE Magazine.
He also directed the upcoming feature length documentary Time To Die, which was filmed over four years and covers the illegal underground global network that illegally sources, buys, and sells assisted-dying methods.
As a presenter, Shea is best known for his films about crime and drugs, such as the High Society series. In Inside the Laughing Gas Black Market, Shea met criminals who broke into hospitals in order to steal canisters of the recreational drug nitrous oxide. How Weed Laws Are Failing the UK portrayed new trends in the cannabis black market including groppers (grandmothers who grow cannabis because they are seen as less suspicious) and gangs using heat-seeking drones to find and rob rival cannabis grow operations.
In The Truth About Ecstasy Shea witnesses students manufacturing ecstasy tablets in Brighton, and visits the first ever on-site drug-testing at a UK music festival.
- 2015 – Webbie Award for Best Web Personality/Host 2015 for Iceman
- 2015 – Grierson Award – nomination – for Chemsex
- 2016 – Emmy Award – nomination – for Gaycation
- "MATT SHEA". Video. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- Harrison, Phil (2016-10-15). "Catch-up and download: from Mascots to High Society". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- "Vice documentary High Society shows what's really in ecstasy". www.news.com.au. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- "Matt Shea". Vice. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- "Matt Shea". VICE Film School. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- Clarke, Stewart; Clarke, Stewart (2018-05-08). "Vice U.K. Brings Its First Feature Film, 'Time to Die,' to Cannes (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- "Britain's Cocaine Epidemic". Channel 5. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- "Netflix's 'Dope' is a blunt-force documentary about drugs". The Daily Dot. 2018-02-02. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- "Wolf of the West End". Sky. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- VICE (2017-02-07), Inside The Laughing Gas Black Market, retrieved 2019-04-11
- "Daisy-May & Matt". VICE Film School. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- Vice Reports: Targeted Individuals, retrieved 2019-04-11
- McKinnon, Jason (2017-02-05). "Watch This 5 Part eSports Documentary Series On VICE". Nerd Infinite. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- "THE 5TH ANNUAL LOVIE AWARDS NAMES ELTON JOHN, IMOGEN HEAP, DEUTSCHLAND25, VICE, IKEA, ZOELLA, LUFTHANSA AND TOCA BOCA AS FINALISTS". Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- "Grierson Trust unveils 2016 nominees". Royal Television Society. 2016-07-27. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- Gaycation - IMDb, retrieved 2019-04-25