Matthew Bell (rugby league)
30 August 1981 |
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
|Height||190 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||107 kg (16 st 12 lb)|
|Position||Second-row, Lock, Prop|
|As of 8 September 2013|
|Source: NRL Stats, League Central & RLP|
Matthew Bell (born 30 August 1981 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) is an Australian professional rugby league player for the Wests Tigers in the National Rugby League. Bell primarily plays in the second row, but most of his appearances have started from the bench.
Bell played his junior football for Brothers St. Brendan's JRLFC and previously played for Souths Logan Magpies in the Queensland Cup. He made his NRL debut in round 11 of the 2006 season against the Parramatta Eels at CUA Stadium.
Having played over a hundred games in his 6 years with the Panthers, Bell signed a one year contract to join the Wests Tigers in 2012.
Bell, played in 23 games in 2012. He mostly played from the bench, but made appearances in the starting team when Chris Heighington was injured and Adam Blair was suspended. In 2013, Bell played the first 6 games of the season, before suffering a right hand tendon injury at a training session, returning to first-grade near the end of the season.
Bell holds the Wests Tigers record of most appearances without scoring a point, having played in 32 games without scoring.
- "Blair on the move to Tigers". Sydney Morning Herald. 14 July 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- Ian McCullough (10 April 2012). "Bell to replace Heighington at Tigers". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- "Final teams: Tigers v Panthers". nrl.com. 14 July 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- "Wests Tigers injury update ahead of Round 8". League Unlimited. 29 April 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Kevin Braysher (25 November 2013). "Intrust Super Cup Gains & Losses: Burleigh Bears". qrl.com.au. Retrieved 29 November 2013.