Matthew Larkin Cassell
Matthew Larkin Cassell is an American songwriter, vocalist, multi-instrumentalist and writer. His songwriting style is a fusion of funk, R&B, jazz and pop. A San Francisco Bay Area native, Cassell has made numerous appearances in the Bay Area and European tours throughout his formative years as a musician.
Cassell is best known for his original, privately pressed vinyl recordings from the 1970s and 1980s : the LP Pieces from 1977, the EP, Matt The Cat released in 1978, and the untitled 45 released in 1980. Cassell has seen a revival of interest in his music through the internet, rare vinyl and beat collectors, worldwide. Copies of his original records have exceeded $1,300.
The re-discovery of Cassell's recordings were covered in the Huffington Post. Joel Selvin of the San Francisco Chronicle wrote of Cassell’s re-emergence, “A 21st century digital fairy tale,” and Cassell's first interview with Paul Liberatore of the Marin Independent Journal.
First re-emerging in re-release through compilation on, The Kings of Digging compilation helmed by the DJ team Kon & Amir, recording artists Madlib, M. F. Doom, and People Under The Stairs and others have since sampled Cassell’s early recordings.
Portions of Cassell’s catalogue have been re-issued by the Blues Interactions / P-Vine label in Japan, Rapster Records in Berlin, and the BBE label in London, and is currently signed to the Stones Throw  label in Los Angeles. His complete works are to be released by Stones Throw on May 17, 2010.
Cassell resides, records, and performs in Northern California.
This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: formatting, referencing (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1977 'Pieces' 12”(private press) LP Track listing: 'Heaven' / sampled by Madlib/MF Doom' Madvillainy'; 'In My Life"/ 'Kings of Diggin' Kon & Amir
1978 'Matt The Cat' 12”(private press) EP Track listing; 'All I'm Missing is You' / sampled by PUTS/Stepfather 'You'
1980 'Untitled, w/kid picture' 7” (private press) 45 single
2006 Reissue 'In My Life' appears on 'Kings of 'Diggin' CD, Kon/Amir, Rapster Records, Berlin/BBE, London
2007 Reissue 'Heaven' Single 7' 'Off Track' Kon/Amir, BBE, London
2008 'Privatepress4' 12”(private press) EP single
2008 Reissue - 2 CDs- 'Pieces' & 'Matt The Cat/45 Untitled' P-Vine / Blues Interactions label, Tokyo
2010 Reissue Complete Catalogue Vinyl (2x) & CD, Stones Throw, Los Angeles
- "Daniel Werman: The Best Music You've Never Heard: 30 Years Later - Matthew Larkin Cassell". Huffingtonpost.com. 2010-05-24. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-05-31. Retrieved 2010-04-23.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Mill Valley musician Matthew Larkin Cassell making waves 30 years after his heyday - Marin Independent Journal". Marinij.com. 2008-05-21. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- "Kon & Amir and DJ Muro - The Kings of Diggin' : BBE Records - Barely Breaking Even". Bbemusic.com. Archived from the original on 2013-04-16. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- "Matthew Larkin Cassell | The Complete Works | Stones Throw Records". Stonesthrow.com. Retrieved 2013-03-31.