Matti Pietikäinen (academic)
|Matti Kalevi Pietikäinen|
|Alma mater||University of Oulu|
|Known for||texture and facial image analysis using Local Binary Patterns|
Pentti Kaitera Prize
|Institutions||University of Oulu,
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
|Doctoral advisor||Azriel Rosenfeld|
Matti Kalevi Pietikäinen is a computer scientist. He is currently Professor at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Oulu, Finland. His research interests are in texture-based computer vision, face and activity analysis, and vision-based perceptual interfaces. He is Director of the Center for Machine Vision Research, and Scientific Director of Infotech Oulu.
Pietikäinen received the Doctor of Science in Technology degree from University of Oulu, Finland, in 1982. From 1980 to 1981 and from 1984 to 1985 he was with the Computer Vision Laboratory at the University of Maryland, working with a pioneer of the computer image analysis, Professor Azriel Rosenfeld. After these visits, he established computer vision research at University of Oulu.
He has authored over 285 refereed scientific publications, which have been frequently cited. He has made pioneering contributions to local binary patterns (LBP) methodology. In 2011, he was named an IEEE Fellow for his contributions to texture and facial image analysis for machine vision. Already in 1994, he received the IAPR Fellow nomination for contributions to machine vision and its applications in industry and service to the IAPR.
- Ojala, T.; Pietikäinen, M.; Mäenpää, T. (2002). "Multiresolution gray-scale and rotation invariant texture classification with local binary patterns". IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. 24 (7): 971–987. doi:10.1109/tpami.2002.1017623.
- Ojala, T.; Pietikäinen, M.; Harwood, D. (1996). "A comparative study of texture measures with classification based on featured distributions". Pattern Recognition. 29 (1): 51–59. doi:10.1016/0031-3203(95)00067-4.
- Ahonen, T.; Hadid, A.; Pietikäinen, M. (2006). "Face description with local binary patterns: Application to face recognition". IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. 28 (12): 2037–2041. doi:10.1109/tpami.2006.244.
- Zhao, G.; Pietikäinen, M. (2007). "Dynamic texture recognition using local binary patterns with an application to facial expressions". IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. 29 (6): 915–928. doi:10.1109/tpami.2007.1110.
- Pietikäinen, M.; Hadid, A.; Zhao, G.; Ahonen, T. (2011). Computer vision using local binary patterns. Springer.
- Pfister, T.; Li, X.; Zhao, G.; Pietikäinen, M. (2011). Recognising spontaneous facial micro-expressions. Proc. IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV). pp. 1449–1456.
- "Center for Machine Vision and Signal Analysis". www.cse.oulu.fi.
- "Infotech Oulu". www.oulu.fi.
- "MattiPietikainen/Biography - Center for Machine Vision and Signal Analysis". www.cse.oulu.fi.
- "CMV/25thAnniversaryBook - Center for Machine Vision and Signal Analysis". www.cse.oulu.fi.
- "Matti Pietikäinen - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.fi.
- IEEE Fellow Class of 2012 Archived 2013-09-23 at the Wayback Machine.
- "IAPR - IAPR Fellows". www.iapr.org.