The first species was discovered near the town of Matucana and described as Echinocactus haynii by Otto in 1849. Matucana was erected by Britton & Rose in 1922. The genus Eomatucana F.Ritter has been brought into synonymy with this genus.
Some species are endangered due to collection for the specialist market.
Low, globose or shortly cylindrical bodies, either solitary or clustering. The flowers are subapical, usually more or less zygomorphic, diurnal, in various colours, but mainly red, yellow or pink. However, a few species, notably M. oreodoxa and M. madisoniorum have actinomorphic flowers and were placed in a separate genus - Eomatucana - by F. Ritter. They are reported to flower easily at a young age.
All members of the genus cannot tolerate too much moisture and must be watered only during their growing season and when the substrate is dry. They must also be kept warm through the winter or risk losing their roots. Members of Matucana grow quickly and may be grown from seed.
This section does not cite any sources. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Matucana aurantiaca
- Matucana aurantiaca subsp. aurantiaca
- Matucana aurantiaca subsp. currundayensis
- Matucana aurantiaca subsp. hastifera
- Matucana aureiflora
- Matucana blancii
- Matucana comacephala
- Matucana formosa
- Matucana fruticosa
- Matucana haynei
- Matucana haynei subsp. haynei
- Matucana haynei subsp. herzogiana
- Matucana haynei subsp. hystrix
- Matucana haynei subsp. myriacantha
- Matucana hoxeyi
- Matucana huagalensis
- Matucana intertexta
- Matucana klopfenstii
- Matucana krahnii
- Matucana madisoniorum
- Matucana oreodoxa
- Matucana oreodoxa subsp. oreodoxa
- Matucana oreodoxa subsp. rebutiiflora
- Matucana oreodoxa subsp. roseiflora
- Matucana paucicostata
- Matucana polzii
- Matucana pujupatii
- Matucana ritteri
- Matucana tuberculata
- Matucana weberbaueri
- "BioLib - Matucana". Biolib. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Divulgazione, Divisione (15 January 2013). "Matucana". Seeds Cactus. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Anderson, Miles (2008). The Complete Illustrated Guide to Growing Cacti & Succulents. London: Lorenz Books. pp. 92–93. ISBN 9780754818427.
- "Plant of the Month: Matucana madisoniorum". The British Cactus & Succulent Society. August 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
|Wikispecies has information related to Matucana|
- Bregman, Rob: The Genus Matucana. Biology and systematics of fascinating Peruvian cacti. A.A.Balkema 1996.
- Ritter, Friedrich: Kakteen in Südamerika, Band 4, s. 1486-87. Friedrich Ritter Selbstverlag 1981.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matucana.|