Maurice Auslander (August 3, 1926 – November 18, 1994) was an American mathematician who worked on commutative algebra and homological algebra. He proved the Auslander–Buchsbaum theorem that regular local rings are factorial, the Auslander–Buchsbaum formula, and introduced Auslander–Reiten theory and Auslander algebras.
Born in Brooklyn, New York, Auslander received his bachelor's degree and his Ph.D. (1954) from Columbia University. He was a visiting scholar at the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956-57. He was a professor at Brandeis University from 1957 until his death in Trondheim, Norway aged 68. He was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1971.
- with David Buchsbaum: Homological dimension in Noetherian rings, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., vol. 85, 1957, pp. 390–405 doi:10.2307/1992937
- with Oscar Goldman: The Brauer group of a commutative ring, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., vol. 97, no. 3, 1960, pp. 367–409 doi:10.2307/1993378
- Modules over unramified regular local rings, Illinois J. Math., vol. 5, 1961, pp. 631–647
- with Idun Reiten: Representation theory of Artin algebras. III. Almost split sequences, Communications in Algebra, vol. 3, 1975, pp. 239–294 doi:10.1080/00927877508822046
- with Idun Reiten: On a generalized version of the Nakayama conjecture, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., vol. 52, 1975, pp. 69–74 doi:10.1090/S0002-9939-1975-0389977-6
- with Mark Bridger: Stable module theory, American Mathematical Society 1969
- with David Buchsbaum: Groups, rings, modules, Harper and Row 1974; Dover reprint. 2014.
- with Idun Reiten and Sverre O. Smalø: Representation theory of Artin algebras, Cambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics, 36, Cambridge University Press, 1995 ISBN 0-521-41134-3
- Institute for Advanced Study: A Community of Scholars Archived 2013-01-06 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Maurice Auslander, Mathematician, 68". New York Times. December 10, 1994. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter A" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Philip Auslander". School of Literature, Media, and Communication, Georgia Tech.
- Stenger, Allen (26 November 2014). "Review of Groups, rings, modules by Maurice Auslander and David Buchsbaum". MAA Reviews, Mathematical Association of America.
- Ringel, Claus Michael (1996). "Review of Representation theory of Artin algebras by Maurice Auslander, Idun Reiten, and Sverre Smalø" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 33 (4): 509–517.
- Auslander, Maurice (1999), Reiten, Idun; Smalø, Sverre O.; Solberg, Øyvind, eds., Selected works of Maurice Auslander. Part 1, Providence, R.I.: American Mathematical Society, ISBN 978-0-8218-0998-3, MR 1674397
- Auslander, Maurice (1999), Reiten, Idun; Smalø, Sverre O.; Solberg, Øyvind, eds., Selected works of Maurice Auslander. Part 2, Providence, R.I.: American Mathematical Society, ISBN 978-0-8218-1000-2, MR 1674401
- Peskine, Christian; Reiten, Idun (1995), "Maurice Auslander (1926–1994)" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 42 (4): 450–453, ISSN 0002-9920, MR 1319276
- Maurice Auslander Distinguished Lectures
- Maurice Auslander, Mathematician, 68, New York Times obituary
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Maurice Auslander", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Maurice Auslander at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|