|Born||October 1, 1877|
Nagy Bittse, Hungary
|Died||November 7, 1941 (aged 64)|
San Diego, California
Maurice Braun (1877–1941) was an American artist who became known for his Impressionist landscapes of southern California. He was born in Hungary on October 1, 1877; however, by the age of four, young Maurice and the Braun family had migrated to United States, and settled in New York City. His professional studies took him to the National Academy of Design, where he studied the French tradition under Francis C. Jones, George W. Maynard and Edgar M. Ward.
In 1901 Braun trained under the American painter William Merritt Chase (1849–1916). He established himself as a figure and portrait painter in New York City, but in 1909 he left for California. Maurice Braun died in San Diego, California on November 7, 1941.
- Hallgarten Prize, National Academy of Design, 1900;
- Gold Medal, Panama-California Exposition, San Diego, 1915-16.
- Salmagundi Club
- Laguna Beach Art Association
- San Diego Fine Arts Association.
Galleries and Public Collections
- Steven Stern Fine Arts, Beverly Hills, CA
- Maurice Braun Gallery, California
- Houston Museum, Texas
- Laguna Art Museum, California
- Irvine Museum, Irvine, California
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- San Diego History Center
- San Diego Museum of Art
- The Redfern Gallery Laguna Beach, CA
- William A. Karges Fine Art
- K. Nathan Gallery  La Jolla, California
- Museum, Oakland; Art, Laguna Beach Museum of; Museum, Crocker Art (1981). Impressionism, the California view. Oakland Museum. p. 84.
After a brief apprenticeship with a jeweler, he enrolled in 1897 at the National Academy of Design, where he studied under Francis C. Jones...
- Literature: Second Nature, Four Early San Diego Landscape Painters by Milton E. Peterson, 1991;
- Literature: Artists in California, 1786-1940, by Edan Milton Hughes, 1989;
- Literature: Plein Air Painters of the Southland, by Ruth Lily Westphal, 1996.
- Paintings by Maurice Braun, an exhibition catalog from The Metropolitan Museum of Art Libraries (fully available online as PDF)
- Works by Maurice Braun, WikiArt
|This article about a painter from the United States born in the 1870s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|