|Also known as||DJI Mavic|
|Input||DJI GO 4 app, Mavic Pro Controller|
|Camera||Sony Exmor R IMX377, 1080p or 4K; gimbal-attached|
The Mavic (Chinese: 御; pinyin: Yù) is a series of teleoperated compact quadcopter drones for personal and commercial aerial photography and videography use, released by the Chinese technology company DJI.
- 1 Mavic series
- 2 Mavic Pro
- 3 Updates
- 4 Mavic Air
- 5 See also
- 6 References
The Mavic Pro, which was released in 2016 was the first of the Mavic series. The drone was considered to be one of the first personalized drones on the market, being capable of capturing 4K video, having a flight range of 4.3 miles (6.9 km) and a flight time of 27 minutes. In 2017, however, DJI announced the Mavic Pro Platinum which came with a longer flight time (30 mins), thanks to improved motor & performance, and re-designed propellers, making the Mavic both faster and more efficient.
The Mavic Air, which was released in early 2018 was the first "pocket-sized" portable drone being able to capture 4k video at 30 FPS. The Air has a 3-axis gimbal and 25mm lens. The Air also has a SmartCapture feature, a three-directional environment sensing system and a max flight time of 21 minutes.
Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom
DJI announced in August 2018, the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 2 Zoom. Both drones consisted of 10 obstacle avoidance sensors on all sides and a max flight time of 31 minutes. Both of the drones could also record 4K video at 30 FPS. The Mavic 2 Zoom features a 4× zoom feature (2× optical and 2× digital), and also featured a 12-megapixel camera. The Mavic 2 Pro features a 4× Hasselblad camera and Hyper Timelapse feature.
Mavic 2 Enterprise
On October 29, 2018, DJI announced the Mavic 2 Enterprise (M2E). Incorporating features from the Mavic 2 line of consumer drones, the Mavic 2 Enterprise includes three modular accessories for both first responder and industrial applications. It include the M2E Spotlight (capable of 2400 lumens), the M2E Speaker (capable of playing 10 prerecorded messages at 100 decibels), and the M2E Beacon, a strobe visible three miles away and is designed to clear FAA night waivers for night inspections.
DJI announced the Mavic Mini on October 30, 2019 as a replacement for the now discontinued DJI Spark and positioning it as a beginner camera drone. Its camera is on a three-axis gimbal and features a 12MP sensor capable of 2.7K video at 30 FPS. The Mavic Mini shares similar design characteristics with the Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 series, though notable for its portability and overall small size. DJI's marketing behind the Mavic Mini focuses on the weight of the drone at 249 grams (8.8 oz), allowing it to bypass drone registration regulations in several western countries like the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.
The Mavic is equipped with the same camera as the Phantom 4 UAV. The camera is a 12MP camera that is capable of shooting 4K video at 24 frames per second (FPS). It is capable of 96 FPS when shooting in 1080p. Its camera keeps the same 60 Mbit/s bitrate seen in the Phantom 4. The lens in the DJI Mavic possesses a 78-degree field of view (FOV), whereas the Phantom 4 maintains a 94-degree FOV.
Speed and distance
The Mavic uses FlightAutonomy technology to sense obstacles up to 49 ft (15m) away and allows the Mavic to bypass them or brake to hover, reducing accidents.
DJI rates the battery life of the Mavic at 27 minutes of flight time in zero wind conditions. Max hovering time (0 wind) is 24 minutes, while normal flight drops to 21 minutes.
The Mavic is the first DJI drone to have gesture control. Users can wave their arms in specific patterns to trigger drone functions, such as taking a picture.
The Mavic controller is more compact than those for other DJI drones. It includes fold-out grips for smartphones and small tablets and has a built-in flight information display for flight without a smartphone or tablet.
A switch on the Mavic allows it to operate in Wi-Fi mode independent of the controller (e.g., controlled directly from a smartphone). In Wi-Fi mode, all flight functions can be accessed using the DJI Go 4 app but with reduced range to a few hundred feet.
Intelligent Flight Modes
The Mavic Activetrack feature allows the Mavic to track an object without the user actively controlling the UAV. The Activetrack has three different settings: Trace, Profile, and Spotlight. The Trace feature also known as "Orbit" allows the Mavic to follow an object in a circular pattern while the object is in motion. When in Profile mode the Mavic will follow a moving object as well but always at the same, pre-set distance. Lastly, in Spotlight mode the aircraft camera will always point at the object and the flight course will be locked. The obstacle avoidance feature is not enabled in any of the Activetrack modes.
Mavic Pro Platinum
At the 2017 IFA trade show, DJI announced the upgraded Mavic Pro Platinum. The upgraded version includes better battery life and improved noise reduction due to new propellers and electronic speed controllers.
This article is missing information about the DJI Mavic Air and all of its specific specs and features such as the camera, speed, obstacle avoidance and sensory, precision hover and etc..July 2018)(
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (July 2018)
The Mavic Air was announced on 23 January 2018, for release on 28 January at a starting price of $799. It is marketed as a smartphone-sized drone that can fit in a jacket's pocket.
It features a 12 MP 4K HDR camera, mounted on a 3-axis gimbal, and has a new panorama mode, which stitches together 25 photos in eight seconds to create a "Sphere Panorama". Due to antennas mounted on its landing gear, the drone has a 21-minute flight time and a 2.5 mile range. Like the Spark, the Air also features the "Smart Capture" mode, in which the drone can be controlled by hand gestures.
The Spark and Mavic Air controllers are similar to the Mavic Pro controller, except the Pro includes a small built-in display monitor screen. The Mavic Air controller also has detachable sticks for portability conveniences 
- "DJI Revolutionises Personal Flight With New Mavic Pro Drone". MyNewsDesk. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "Cameras Comparison". Juza Photo. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- Martin, Chris. "DJI Mavic Air release date, price and specs". Tech Advisor. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "DJI Mavic Air Drone". rise above custom drone solutions. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "DJI Mavic 2 drones add obstacle yo sensors to all sides". BBC News. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- Murhpy, Mike. "DJI unveils two new impressive drones that might look a bit…familiar". QUARTZ. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "Mavic 2 Enterprise – Built to Empower. Destined to Serve". DJI Official. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- O'Kane, Sean (2019-10-30). "The Mavic Mini is DJI's first drone that doesn't need FAA registration". The Verge. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- Chavers·GearPhotography·October 30, Marcus; 2019 (2019-10-30). "DJI Mavic Mini is the Gateway Drug of Camera Drones". News Ledge. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- "Mavic Mini - Specs, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI". DJI Official. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- "Mavic Mini - The Everyday FlyCam - DJI". DJI Official. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- "FAADroneZone". faadronezone.faa.gov. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- Canada, Transport (2018-10-18). "Flying your drone safely and legally". www.tc.gc.ca. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- "Registration". Dronesafe. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- "Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads". DJI Official. Retrieved 2016-12-21.
- Arvin, Mojtaba. "DJI Mavic Pro: 5 Things You Should Know About the New Foldable Drone". Artificial Intelligence Online. Mojtaba Arvin. Archived from the original on 10 October 2016. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- Popper, Ben (27 September 2016). "DJI's new Mavic Pro drone folds up and fits in the palm of your hand". The Verge. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- Cranz, Alex. "DJI's Mavic Pro is Tiny, Foldable, and Super Smart". Gizmodo. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "DJI Mavic Pro Drone Sheds Serious Weight But Bulks Features". News Ledge. September 27, 2016.
- Baldwin, Roberto. "DJI's Mavic Pro takes on GoPro's Karma with smart features". engadget. Roberto Baldwin. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "DJI Mavic Pro $999 foldable camera drone is crazy-small and powerful". CNET. CNET. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- Pogue, David. "DJI Mavic Pro: a folding drone that redefines the category". Yahoo! Tech. David Pogue. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- ProPhotoUAV "DJI MAVIC PRO Guide By ProPhotoUAV". Archived from the original on 2016-10-26. Retrieved 25 October 2016
- "DJI Adopts Tick-Tock Cycle in Upgrading Mavic and Phantom 4 Pro". News Ledge. 2017-08-31. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- O'Kane, Sean (2017-08-31). "DJI's new Mavic Pro Platinum is quieter and stays in the air longer". The Verge. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- "Mavic Pro Platinum - Enhanced Endurance, Quieter Flight". DJI Official. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- Heater, Brian. "DJI's $799 'smartphone-size' Mavic Air drone starts shipping January 28". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- Nelio, Ruan. "DJI Spark vs Mavic Air". BuyBestQuadcopter. Retrieved 18 August 2019.