Max Salazar (April 17, 1932 – September 19, 2010) was an American musicologist specializing in the history of Latin music. He was a senior editor of the Latin Beat Magazine and the contributing editor of the Impacto magazine. He was a lecturer at the UCLA, Smithsonian Institution and several colleges.
His 2002 book Mambo Kingdom: Latin Music in New York contains a number of articles about mambo star Tito Puente and over 200 other dance articles for magazines such as Village Voice, Latin Times, and Billboard.
- Salazar, Max (2002). Mambo Kingdom - Latin Music in New York. New York: Schirmer Trade Books. ISBN 0-8256-7277-5.
- "Max Salazar on TITO PUENTE - Entrevista", by Joe Hernandez Latin Beat Magazine, April 2002
- Obituary in All About Jazz
- Salazar, Max, "Joe Quijano: la Pachanga se baila así", Latin Beat Magazine, August, 1998
- Salazar, Max, "Gabriel Oller: Aguinaldos de Salsa - TT: Gabriel Oller: Salsa Music bonus", Latin Beat Magazine, March, 2000