Memories of August 1914
Memories of August 1914 was a five-day outdoor performance art event featuring giant marionettes, and took place in Liverpool, England, from 23 July to 27 July 2014. The event started with the sleeping Grandmother on display in St George's Hall. On the Friday, approximately 300,000 people watched the giants in the city. On the final day, the giants left the city in a boat on the River Mersey, after making their way from Clarence Dock via The Strand. Crowd estimates show that over the course of the weekend, more than 1.5 million people attended the event. 
It was designed and operated by the French street theatre company Royal de Luxe, and featured two of the three giants, the Little Giant Girl and her dog, Xolo, that were used in the Sea Odyssey: Giant Spectacular in 2012. The event is to mark 100 years since the start of World War I.
- La Princesse, a 15-metre (50-foot) mechanical spider that roamed around Liverpool in 2008
- The Sultan's Elephant, an event performed by Royal de Luxe in London in 2006, and in other cities
- "Sea Odyssey giants return to Liverpool for WW1 commemoration". BBC. 2014-01-07. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Liverpool Giants: 20,000 visit 'sleeping' Grandmother". BBC. 24 July 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "Liverpool Giants: Thousands watch second day of marionette show". BBC. 26 July 2014. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- "Liverpool Giants: Marionettes sail away in river boat finale". BBC. 27 July 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "The Giants may be on the way back to Liverpool, reveals city Mayor Joe Anderson". Liverpool Echo. 28 July 2014. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- "Giant puppets return to Liverpool for commemorative WW1 event". Standout Magazine. 2014-01-07. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Confirmed: There will be giants". Liverpool Confidential. 2014-01-07. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- Official site of Royal de Luxe
|This art-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|