Meridian High School (Idaho)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Meridian High School|
|1900 West Pine Avenue
Meridian, Idaho 83642
|Founded||1904, 1975 (current)|
|School district||West Ada School District|
|Color(s)||Blue & Gold|
|Athletics||IHSAA Class 5A|
|Athletics conference||Southern Idaho (5A) (SIC)|
|Yearbook||Mana Ha Sa|
|This section does not cite any sources. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The school began classes in the year of 1904 at the corners of Pine Street and Meridian Road, in a one-room schoolhouse. Meridian High was the first high school in the Meridian area. During most of the twentieth century, Meridian and surrounding areas were separated from Boise to the east by a significant amount of agricultural land, which later became developed.
In 1975, a larger, more modern campus (initially containing four buildings) was built at the present location, at the intersection of Pine Ave. and Linder Rd. With enrollment already exceeding capacity when the new campus opened, an addition to the classroom building was completed the following year. Growth continued into the mid-1980s, forcing the school to adopt a split-shift schedule to accommodate the 2,400 students attending a facility built for 1,800.
Until 1987, it was the only high school in the Meridian School District, and had the largest enrollment in the state. With rapid growth in the Meridian and west Boise area, four additional high schools opened in the next two decades to relieve congestion.
In the fall of 2007, a new PTC building was constructed, housing three new shops and adding additional space for students and faculty. Additional space for the Future Farmers of America (FFA) was also established.
- Fall sports: Soccer, Football, Cross Country, Volleyball
- Winter sports: Wrestling, Basketball, Ice hockey.
- Spring sports: Baseball, Softball, Golf, Tennis, Track, and Lacrosse.
- Year-round sports and activities: Swimming, Cheer, Dance, Competitive Speech and Debate
- Football (3): fall 1986, 2005, 2007 (official with introduction of playoffs, fall 1979)
- (unofficial poll titles - 0) (poll introduced in 1963, through 1978)
- Cross Country (3): fall 1986, 1998, 2001  (introduced in 1964)
- Basketball (3): 1979, 1983, 1992 
- Wrestling (4): 1983, 1985, 1986, 1987  (introduced in 1958)
- Baseball (2): 1985, 1987 (records not kept by IHSAA, state tourney introduced in 1971)
- Track (2): 1986, 1987 
- Golf (4): 1983, 2001, 2002, 2003  (introduced in 1956)
- Soccer (2): 1995, 2002
- Cross Country (4): fall 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002  (introduced in 1974)
- Volleyball (1) fall 1981  (introduced in 1976)
- Basketball (4): 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983  (introduced in 1976)
- Track (1): 1986  (introduced in 1971)
- Tennis (3): 1963, 1964, 1983  (introduced in 1963, combined team until 2008)
The Meridian High Newspaper, the Warwhoop, has history dating back to the 1940s. The current layout design program used is Adobe InDesign CS3. The Warwhoop's historic papers are located in Meridian High School in the current newspaper room.
The band program consists of three bands: Marching, Symphonic, and concert.
- Gracie Pfost (attended, '24) - state's first woman in Congress (1953–63)
- Vern Law ('48) - MLB pitcher, 162 wins
- Ron Packard ('49) - former congressman from California
- William Agee ('56) - business executive
- Max Butler - Former security consultant and online hacker arrested for theft.
- Kyle Brotzman - Boise State Kicker
- "Meridian High School". Public School Review. Retrieved 2009-04-29.
- "High Schools". Meridian School District. Archived from the original on April 25, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-29.
- "Idaho High School Activities Association" (PDF). IHSAA. Retrieved 2009-04-29.
- "Administration". Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- idhsaa.org - Idaho high school football - state champions
- idhsaa.org Cross Country champions through 2011
- idhsaa.org - Basketball champions - through 2012
- idhsaa.org - Wrestling champions - through 2012
- idhsaa.org - Track champions - through 2012
- idhsaa.org - Golf champions - through 2012
- idhsaa.org Soccer & Volleyball champions - through 2011
- idhsaa.org - Girls Basketball champions - through 2012
- idhsaa.org - Girls Track champions - through 2012
- idhsaa.org - Tennis champions - through 2012