Metropolitan Youth Symphony
This article possibly contains original research. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Founded in 1974 by Lajos Balogh with just a handful of students, it is now one of the largest youth orchestra groups in the country. It has about 500 students, twelve conductors and fourteen ensembles with multiple experience levels. The symphony accepts young musicians of school ages kindergarten through early college and all levels of experience. The primary goal is to challenge students to learn and perform music in a friendly and rewarding atmosphere.
Metropolitan Youth Symphony's current Music Director is Costa Rican-born conductor and violinist Raúl Gómez.
MYS ensembles include:
- Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Raúl Gómez
- Symphonic Band, conducted by Patrick Murphy
- Concert Orchestra, conducted by Jeffrey Peyton
- Sinfonietta Orchestra, conducted by Lance Inouye
- Vivaldi Strings, conducted by Brian Quincey
- Concert Band, conducted by Cynthia Plank
- Baroque Strings, conducted by Adam LaMotte
- Interlude Orchestra, conducted by Nita Van Pelt
- Overture Strings, conducted by Laura Jauregui
- Jazz Ensemble, conducted by Ryan Meagher
- Jazz Band, conducted by Greg McKelvey
- MYSfits String Ensemble, conducted by Raúl Gómez
- MYSticks Percussion Ensemble, directed by Michael Roberts
Metropolitan Youth Symphony ensembles present a dozen public concerts each year in the Portland metropolitan area. In addition, it serves schools throughout Oregon with an outreach music program that visits up to twenty public schools each year.
- Dot Rust (September 29, 2011). "Balogh, founder of the Metropolitan Youth Symphony, steps down as Music Director". Oregon Music News. Archived from the original on May 14, 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-14. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "David Ludwig Elected to Board of Metropolitan Youth Symphony". Farleigh Wada Witt. November 1, 2011. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "MYS Concerts Metropolitan Youth Symphony". playmys.org. Retrieved 2016-01-18.
- "School Outreach Concerts Metropolitan Youth Symphony". playmys.org. Retrieved 2016-01-18.
|This Oregon-volunteer or nonprofit organization related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|