Mian Gul Akbar Zaib
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Miangul Akbar Zaib
|Former Ex/ High Commissioner of Pakistan to Canada|
2009 – 2014 (Retired)
|High Commissioner for Pakistan to South Africa|
|Ambassador to Afghanistan|
February 15, 1954 |
Saidu Sharif, Swat (princely state), KPK
|Relations||Miangul Jahan Zeb(grandfather)
Zebun Nisa Jilani (Sister)
|Alma mater||Aitchison College Lahore
Mian Gul Akbar Zeb (Urdu: ميان گل اكبر زيب) is a former, retired Pakistani diplomat and a member of the former royal family of Swat (princely state).He is the grand son of Miangul Jahan Zeb, (Wali of Swat) and son-in-law of the former Governor of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Miangul Aurangzeb. He has been in the Foreign Service of Pakistan since 1979 and has accomplished various assignments abroad and at home.
Miangul Akbar Zeb was born on 15 February 1954 to Miangul Alam zeb at Saidu Sharif in the former ruling family of Swat. After graduation from the Cambridge University, he joined the Foreign Office of Pakistan in 1979 and since then accomplished various assignment at home and abroad. Following is the detail of his assignments:
- Section Officer, European Department. 1982–1983
- First & Second Secretary, Washington DC 1983–1987
- Director, MOFA in Africa, Afghanistan and the Foreign Secretary's Office 1988–1994
- Counselor (Political), New Delhi 1994–1999
- Deputy High Commissioner, New Delhi 1999–2000
- Director General, European Department. 2000–2002
- Director General Americas 2002–2004
- High Commissioner, to South Africa 2004–2005
- Ambassador to Afghanistan 2005–2008
- Pakistani High Commissioner to Canada 2009–2014 (Retired).
Akbar Zeb could not receive accreditation as Pakistan’s ambassador by Saudi Arabia, UAE and Bahrain due to his name which could be translated in Arabic to "biggest dick". His family name is spelled Zaib but changed to Zeb, means "Zaib Meaning in Urdu (زیبائش سجاوٹ، آرائش، زیب و زینت بنائو سنگھار ) Decorating, decorations,". Later on, the story was debunked by the Pakistani officials as Akbar Zeb was not considered to be appointed in the Arab region.
Zaib Meaning in Urdu (زیبائش سجاوٹ، آرائش، زیب و زینت بنائو سنگھار ) Decorating, decorations,
- "swat4 - Royal Ark". Royalark.net. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- "About Swat Royal Family & Photographs". Apnaswat.com. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "1. High Commissioner – Pakistan". Pak Mission Canada. Archived from the original on 4 February 2014. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- "About". Pakistan High Commission Ottawa. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Pakistani ambassador rejected because his name is NSFW in Arabic". Foreign Policy. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "'They've distorted my name'". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "The Akbar Zeb story: too good to be true". Foreign Policy. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
|This Pakistani diplomat-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|