|Occupation||Statistician, researcher, professor|
|Alma mater||University of Athens|
University of Southampton
University of Wisconsin
|Doctoral advisor||Richard A. Johnson|
University of Rochester
Pennsylvania State University
Akritas received a B.Sc. in Mathematics from the University of Athens in 1972, an M.Sc. in Operations Research from the University of Southampton, studied at the University of Patras under George G. Roussas, and in 1978 he received a Ph.D. in Statistics from the University of Wisconsin–Madison under Richard A. Johnson.
Akritas taught at MIT from 1978–1979, and again from 1980-1981 after serving in the Greek military. He then moved to the University of Rochester, and in 1985 he joined the Department of Statistics at The Pennsylvania State. He held a position at National Technical University of Athens, and visiting positions at Texas A&M University, University of Pennsylvania, Australian National University, University of Goettingen, and University of Cyprus. He co-founded, and served as Director of, the Statistical Consulting Center for Astronomy; he also co-founded, and served as Treasurer of, the International Society for Nonparametric Statistics. He has published 104 articles which have been cited over 4700 times.
- Akritas, M.G. (1986). Bootstrapping the Kaplan-Meier Estimator. J. Amer. Statist. Assoc. 81, 1032–1038.
- Akritas, M.G. (1988). Pearson-Type Goodness-of-Fit Tests: The Univariate Case. J. Amer. Statist. Assoc. 83, 222–230.
- Akritas, M.G. (1990). The Rank Transform Method in Some Two-Factor Designs. J. Amer. Statist. Assoc. 85, 73–78.
- Akritas, M.G. (1994). Nearest Neighbor Estimation of a Bivariate Distribution Under Random Censoring. Ann. Statist. 22, 1299–1327.
- Akritas, M.G., Arnold, S.F. (1994). Fully Nonparametric Hypotheses for Factorial Designs I: Multivariate Repeated Measures Designs. J. Amer. Statist. Assoc. 89, 336–343.
- Akritas, M.G., Siebert, J. (1996). A test for partial correlation with censored astronomical data. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 278, 919–924.
- Akritas, M.G., Bershady, M.A. (1996). Linear regression for astronomical data with measurement errors and intrinsic scatter. The Astrophysical Journal 470, 706–714.
- Van Keilegom, I., and Akritas, M.G. (1999). Transfer of tail information in censored regression models. Annals of Statistics 27, 1745–1784.
- Akritas, M.G. and Van Keilogom, I. (2001). Nonparametric estimation of the residual distribution. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics 28, 549–567.
- Akritas, M. and Papadatos, N. (2004). Heteroscedastic One-Way ANOVA and Lack-of-Fit Tests. J. Amer. Statist. Assoc. 99, 368–382.
- Gaugler, T. and Akritas, M.G. (2012). Mixed Effects Models: The Symmetry Assumption and Missing Data. J. Amer. Statist. Assoc., 107, 1230–1238.
- Akritas, M.G. (2016). Projection Pursuit Multi-Index (PPMI) Models. Statistics and Probability Letters 114, 99-103.
- Akritas, M.G. (2016). Asymptotic Theory for the First Projective Direction. Annals of Statistics 44, 2161–2189.