Press Picture 2018
Early life and education
Charles was born in Australia. His father was a music hobbyist and taught his son his first chords. At nine years old Michael formed a band and put on his first live paid performance. In 1970 he traveled with older musicians performing shows, corporate gigs, and weddings.
In 1972 Charles formed the band Black Venom. They performed live on television. In the early 1980s Charles joined the band Magnum and they released "Bring Back Your Love” – “Coming Back Home”.
In 1983 Charles released his first solo recording “I’m A Puppet”. In 1984 he met record producer Greg Williams of Dex Audio of Australia and Charles produced several releases. Charles performs on Dex Audio's record label Newmarket Music in Australia. Greg Williams continues to produce and master Charles’ recordings.
In 1985 Charles formed an independent record label, Moonlight Label. From 1986 through 1989 Charles and Salik Silverstein of SOS Silver Spoon Productions produced three videos which aired on Australia’s Night Shift, Rage, and MTV. In 1987 and 1988 he traveled about Australia on a promotional tour.
In 1990 Charles traveled to the USA to perform at Buddy Guy's Legends in Chicago, Illinois. From 1990 to 1995 he traveled several times to America, performing with Buddy Guy, Eddy Clearwater, George Baze, Junior Wells, James Cotton, Phil Guy. In 1991 Jerry Bryant of JBTV in Chicago Illinois featured Charles on JBTV's blues show, Blues Oasis. In 1993 he released his first solo album. (In late of 2006 Jerry Bryant of JBTV and Michael reunited to start a DVD project which continued on into 2007).
In 1995 Charles toured with blues musician Jimmy Dawkins, and was signed by producer Jack Mehl to his record label, Moonlight Records; a year later Moonlight released "My Shadow", Michael’s first CD in the USA. Charles joined NARAS, the Grammy Award Association where he also entertained monthly for two years at the Chicago Chapter. In 2005 he was the recipient of an award from the Grammy Award Association and NARAS commemorating his ten year anniversary.
In 1996 Charles built a recording studio in America.[where?] In 1997 he performed at the Crossroads Festival in Memphis Tennessee as the guest of Sam Phillips. Beginning in 1990, Charles appeared on DJ John Gorny's Blue Midnight show on WPNA radio, Chicago, Illinois many times through the years. In 1997 Charles appeared for the first of six appearances on WGN-TV. He built a second recording studio in America.
During the next ten years Michael performances included the Chicago Blues Festival, New Orleans Jazz and Blues Festival, Philadelphia Blues Fest, Memphis Tennessee Crossroads Conference, New Orleans Cutting Edge Conference. In 1999 Michael moved to Nashville for 18 months and was featured in Nashville's "Rock and Read". In 2000 Michael Charles moved back to Chicago and built a third recording studio. His fourth and latest studio was built in 2003 and was called Sammary Studio.
Charles traveled around North America on a number of musical tours. He gave each a name, including the Full Circle tour in 2008, the Another Time Another Place Tour in 2010, the Connected tour in 2011, the Road Dawg tour in 2012, the Undercover Tour in 2013, the Three Hundred Sixty Tour in 2014 (including a performance at the Chicago BluesFest), and the RIFF Tour in 2015.
In 2018 as Michael travels his from A to Z tour, Salik Silverstein, movie and film producer from Australia releases the documentary on the life and musical career of Michael Charles, "All I Really Know from A to Z".
- I'm A Puppet / Feel The Magic 1983 Quasi Productions 45rpm
- Time Just Keeps Calling / rock 'n' roll music 1986 Moonlight Label 45rpm
- Imaginations And Mind Games / play a simple tune 1987 Moonlight Label 45rpm
- Long Way To Go / hard days & long nights 1987 Moonlight Label 45rpm
- She's My Woman / Everlasting Love 1987 Moonlight Label 45rpm
- Without Your Love (for company) 1986 Moonlight Label 45rpm 12 inch
- Crawling on the Floor 1996 Moonlight Label CD
- Simple Day Living 2000 Moonlight Label CD
- Simple Day Living Limited Edition 2000 CD
- MC Shuffle 2002 Moonlight Label CD
- Come’ Melodia 2002 Moonlight Label CD
- Connected (for the radio) 2010 Moonlight Label CD
- After Midnight 2011 Moonlight Label / Newmarket Music CD
- Going Down 2012 Moonlight Label / Newmarket Music CD
- Crosscut Saw 2013 Moonlight Label / Newmarket Music CD
- Hey Joe 2013 Moonlight Label / Newmarket Music CD
- Cover Tunes 2013 MoonlightLabel /Newmarket Music CD
- Why Am I Here? 2015 Moonlight Label CD
- Try Another Key YPRX2237 1985 Quasi Productions Vinyl
- Home Through The Streets 1986 Moonlight Label Vinyl, Cassette, 2008 CD
- The Wind 1989 Moonlight Label Vinyl, cassette, 1998 CD
- My Shadow 1996 Moonlight Records cassette, CD
- Hard Days & Long Nights 1990 Moonlight Label CD
- Keep Walking 1999 Moonlight Label CD
- Recall MLL-008 2004 Moonlight Label CD
- I’m Nobody’s Fool 2006 Moonlight Label 2008 Newmarket Music
- Connected 2010 MLL-010 Moonlight Label CD
- Michael Charles Three Hundred Sixty 2014  CD
- Concert at the Nest 2015 Moonlight Label CD
- Sandstone 2017 Moonlight Label CD
- Michael Charles Live at JBTV Live TV 2006-2007 DVD
- " Michael Charles brings a taste of Chicago down under blues". Lethbridge Alberta Beat, 30 January 2013 15:26 Richard Amery
- . Global News, February 2, 2016
- "Michael Charles". Prairie Dog Magazine, By Gregory Beatty on December 8, 2015
- Kompas, Kate. "Blues-rock musician Charles returns to St. Cloud". St. Cloud Times. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Australian blues artist celebrates 30 years of music, performs in Woodstock Square". Northwest Herald. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- Socey, Matthew. "Michael Charles brings blues from down under". NUVO newspaper. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Australian blues musician Michael Charles comes to Glen Ellyn". Naperville Sun. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Big Boss Man - Michael Charles & George Baze". PopScreen. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Music Lounge: Michael Charles Band". WGN-TV. 27 March 2013. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Australian Blues Artist, Michael Charles, to play at Chico Hot Springs, Nov. 29th". Park County Community Journal. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Michael Charles brings blues from down under". Nuvo, March 30, 2016. By Matthew Socey
- LEEVER, ASHLEY. "For this album and tour, bluesman Michael Charles goes 'Under the Covers'". Kearney Hub. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- [February 2, 2016 "Featured Live Blues Review – Chicago Blues Fest Part 2"]. Blues Blast Magazine, Issue 8–27 July 3, 2014
- JOHNSON, RAYCHEL. "Blues legend releases thirtieth recording in 30 years". Standard-Examiner. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- Record, MARGA LINCOLN Independent. "Blues man Michael Charles brings RIFF Tour to Lewis & Clark Brewing Company". Helena Independent Record. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- Arado, Matt (13 October 2015). "Music notes: Michael Charles brings the blues to Geneva". Daily Herald. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "Michael Charles Master Blues Artist Exhibit in The Blues Hall of Fame ®". Blueshalloffame.com. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "CD review: Charles, Magisty remain unconnected". Duluth News Tribuneon May 13, 2010. John Ziegler
- "Concert preview: Bluesman Michael Charles takes Edmonton audience down memory lane". Edmonton Journal, January 21, 2015