Michael Fitzgerald (psychiatrist)
His research is in the area of epidemiology of child and adolescent psychiatry. He has been involved in research collaboration in 18 countries and in initiating master's degree programs at Irish universities. He has lectured including in London at the Royal Society, British Academy, and the British Library and also in New York, Buenos Aires, Tbilisi, Melbourne and many European countries as well as in China, Malaysia, Korea, and Hawaii.
Views on autism
In 2004's Autism and Creativity: Is There a Link Between Autism in Men and Exceptional Ability?, Fitzgerald claims that Lewis Carroll, Éamon de Valera, Sir Keith Joseph, Ramanujan, Ludwig Wittgenstein and W.B. Yeats may have been autistic.
In 2005's The Genesis of Artistic Creativity: Asperger's Syndrome and the Arts, he claims that historical figures such as Hans Christian Andersen, Lewis Carroll and George Orwell might have been autistic. Fitzgerald's psychobiographical and psychohistorical works that contain speculative, retrospective diagnoses of ASD in numerous historical figures have been criticized by Sabina Dosani as "fudged pseudoscience" and by Mark Osteen as "frankly absurd", in reference to Fitzgerald's speculative diagnoses of ASD in W. B. Yeats and Adolf Hitler.
- Fitzgerald, Michael (2004), Autism and Creativity: Is there a link between autism in men and exceptional ability?, New York: Brunner Routledge, ISBN 978-1583912133
- Fitzgerald, Michael (2009), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Creativity, Novelty Seeking and Risk, New York: Nova Science Publishers Inc., ISBN 978-1604568554
- Fitzgerald, Michael (2010), Young, Violent & Dangerous to Know, New York: Nova Science Publishers Inc., ISBN 978-1608769520
- Fitzgerald, Michael (2014), The Link between Asperger Syndrome and Scientific, Artistic, and Political Creativity: Eleven Case Studies, New York: Edwin Mellen Press, ISBN 978-0-7734-0907-1
- Walker, Antoinette; Fitzgerald, Michael (2014), Unstoppable Brilliance, Dublin: Liberties Press, ISBN 978-1905483280
- Fitzgerald, Michael (2015), The Mind of the Artist: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Autism, Asperger Syndrome & Depression, New York: Nova Science Publishers Inc., ISBN 978-1-63463-573-8
- Fitzgerald, Michael (2004). Autism and creativity: is there a link between autism in men and exceptional ability?. East Sussex: Brunner-Routledge. ISBN 1-58391-213-4.
- Fitzgerald, Michael (2005). The genesis of artistic creativity: Asperger's syndrome and the arts. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers. ISBN 1-84310-334-6.
- Fitzgerald M. "Did Ludwig Wittgenstein have Asperger's syndrome?". European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 9 (1): 61–65. doi:10.1007/s007870050117.
- Dosani, Sabina. "Autism and Creativity: Is There a Link between Autism in Men and Exceptional Ability?". BJPsych. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- Osteen, Mark (2007). "Autism and Representation: A Comprehensive Introduction" (PDF). Autism and Representation. New York: Routledge. p. 12. ISBN 0415956447.