13 March 1968|
|Wins by KO||6|
Michael Holden (born 13 March 1968) is a British heavyweight boxer who won the British title in 2000.
Born in Ashton-under-Lyne and based in Manchester, Holden began his professional career in October 1994 with a 4th round stoppage of Gary Williams. After a win and two defeats from his next three fights he fought Julius Francis in July 1996, losing on points. He also did some acting work, including as an extra in Coronation Street. He won five of his next six fights, earning him a shot at the British title in March 2000 that was then held by Francis; Holden won on points to become British champion. Only two months earlier Holden had acted as bodyguard for Francis during the latter's fight against Mike Tyson and acted as a sparring partner for Francis. After being forced to relinquish his title, he fought Francis again in April 2001 in a fight for the vacant WBO Inter-Continental heavyweight title that was also a final eliminator for the British title; This time Francis got the points decision. In September Holden fought Keith Long in another eliminator for the British title but again lost on points. Holden won only two more fights and lost three of his last five fights, including defeats to Michael Sprott and Matt Skelton, the latter a fight for the vacant English title in 2003, after which he retired.
After retiring from boxing, Holden joined the police force. In 2008 he began training for a comeback and sparred with Tyson Fury. He made his return to the ring in September 2009 against Tomáš Mrázek, a boxer who had lost 22 of 28 fights. The 4-round fight ended in a draw. In 2010 Holden competed in television knockout series Prizefighter. Holden returned again in 2012 to fight the undefeated Dillian Whyte, with Whyte winning by a TKO in the third round after putting Holden down three times.
- Brennan, Scott (2009) "Holden Tips Colossus Fury", Manchester Evening News, 19 February 2009. Retrieved 28 September 2014
- "Boxing: Francis loses British heavyweight title", RTÉ, 14 June 2007. Retrieved 28 September 2014
- "Francis out for revenge", BBC, 2 April 2001. Retrieved 28 September 2014
- "Woods sets up Jones showdown", BBC, 14 September 2001. Retrieved 28 September 2014
- "Holyfield Conducts Prizefighter Heavyweight Draw", prizefighter.co.uk, 1 September 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2014
|This biographical article related to boxing in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|