Michael Keating (political scientist)
Michael Keating FRSE (born 2 February 1950) is a political scientist specialising in nationalism, European politics, regional politics and devolution. He is Professor of Scottish Politics at the University of Aberdeen. He is the Director of the ESRC Centre on Constitutional Change.
Keating was born in north-east England of Scottish and Irish parents. He holds British, Irish and Canadian citizenships. Keating holds a BA from the University of Oxford and a PhD from Glasgow College of Technology
Keating was previously Professor of Political Science at the University of Western Ontario, Canada and between 1979 and 1988 taught at the University of Strathclyde. He has been visiting professor in the USA, Spain, France, Australia and England. From 2000 until 2010 he was on secondment from Aberdeen as Professor of Political and Social Sciences at the European University Institute, Florence, where he was head of the department between 2004 and 2007.
He is author of eighteen books and editor of sixteen, as well as numerous academic articles and chapters. His publications include Nations against the State: The New Politics of Nationalism in Quebec, Catalonia and Scotland (Macmillan, 1996), Plurinational Democracy: Stateless Nations in a Post-Sovereignty Era (Oxford University Press, 2001) and The Government of Scotland: Public Policy Making after Devolution (Edinburgh University Press, 2005), The Independence of Scotland (Oxford University Press, 2009), Rescaling the European State (Oxford University Press, 2013) and (edited with Donatella della Porta) Approaches and Methodologies in the Social Sciences (Cambridge University Press, 2008).
Awards and honours
- "Michael Keating". European University Institute. Retrieved 2 April 2009.
- Lobjakas, Ahto (7 April 2006). "EU: Minority ambitions struggle to break through nation-state glass ceiling". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Retrieved 2 April 2009.
- "Professor Michael Keating". University of Aberdeen. Retrieved 2 April 2010.
- Swain, Harriet (25 June 1999). "On the move". Times Higher Education. Retrieved 2 April 2009.
- "Scottish political expert appointed by University of Aberdeen" (Press release). University of Aberdeen. 8 June 1999. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "Michael Keating Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). European University Institute. Retrieved 2 April 2009.
- "RSE fellows...". Times Higher Education. 18 March 2005. Retrieved 2 April 2009.