Microsoft Safety Scanner
|Initial release||12 April 2011|
|Operating system||Windows 7; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista; Windows XP|
|Platform||IA-32 and x86-64[a]|
|Size||154MiB (32-bit); 157MiB (64-bit)|
|Available in||56[b] languages|
|License||Freeware, only for development and test purposes|
Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free [clarify] virus scanner similar to Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool that can be used to scan a system for computer viruses and other forms of malware. This program was released on 15 April 2011, following the discontinuation of Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner.
Microsoft Safety Scanner is not meant to be used as a day-to-day tool, since it does not provide real-time protection against viruses, cannot update its virus definitions and expires after ten days. On the other hand, it can be run on a computer which already has an antivirus product without any potential interference. Therefore, it can be used to scan a computer where there is a potential infection and the user wants a second check from another antivirus. It uses the same detection engine and malware definitions that Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection use.
|“||1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. You may install and use one copy of the software on your device to design, develop and test your programs.||”|
- To see all supported platforms, click "Select your version", located beneath "Download Now" button.
- To see all languages, see the drop-down box at the top right corner.
- "System Requirements". Microsoft Safety Scanner website. Microsoft Corporation. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- "Microsoft Safety Scanner". Microsoft Safety Scanner website. Microsoft Corporation. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Microsoft Software License Terms Microsoft Safety Scanner 1.0". Microsoft Safety Scanner website. Microsoft Corporation. Archived from the original on 22 April 2011. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- "Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner finally discontinued". LiveSide.Net. 15 April 2011. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- Nick Peers, Nick (16 April 2011). "Microsoft Safety Scanner (64-bit version) 1.0.3001.0". PC Advisor. IDG. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- "Presenting... the Microsoft Safety Scanner". Microsoft Malware Protection Center. Microsoft Corporation. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- Introducing Microsoft Antimalware Technologies. Microsoft Corporation. 22 June 2010. p. 9. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- "Anti-virus to go: Microsoft makes portable anti-virus tool available to download". The H Security. Heise Media UK Ltd. 19 April 2011. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- Peers, Nick (17 April 2011). "Microsoft Safety Scanner detects and removes threats without installation". PC & Tech Authority. Haymarket Media. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- Brinkmann, Martin (14 April 2011). "Microsoft Safety Scanner, Free On-Demand Virus Scanner". ghacks.net. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- Kumar, Sandeep (4 December 2011). "A Portable Virus Scanner and Removal Tool from Microsoft". techvigil.com. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
|This article about software created or produced by Microsoft is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This security software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|